Home Fries

by Lana Stuart on October 1, 2009 · 20 comments

Home Fries

A couple of weekends ago I saw someone on Food Network making this recipe as I was wondering in and out of  the family room. I’m almost positive it was Tyler Florence. At least I hope so. It’s not my own original recipe and I always want to give credit where credit is due! So, if someone out there is reading this story and you know absolutely that it was not Tyler Florence, please let me know and I’ll correct that asap!

Regardless of who the cook was, I knew right away that this was something BeeBop (and, yeah, me too) would just love. After all, it’s potatoes and BeeBop is a meat ‘n ‘taters guy. Also, it reminded me so much of the fried potatoes we had everywhere on our trip to Ireland. Really, no matter what you ordered it came with fried potatoes. I began to wonder when I ordered the bread and butter pudding for dessert (the absolutely best dessert I’ve ever had anywhere, by the way) whether it would come to the table with a side of fried potatoes. No joke. And without exception all those potatoes were fantastic!  Believe me, the Irish know what to do with potatoes!

This recipe doesn’t give specific amounts because it’s one of those things that you just have to sort of feel your way through. You know what I mean, right? Kind of like making toast. You just know what is enough butter and know when it looks done, don’t you? So it’s the same with these home fries. Try them once and you’ll immediately “get it.”

Potatoes
Butter
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Thyme
Paprika

I use 1 1/2 medium or 1 large potato per person for this. So for the two of us, that would be 3 medium or 2 large potatoes. For that amount of potatoes I would use 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Make sense so far? Great!

homefries_cutpotatoes

Wash and dry the potatoes. I don’t bother to peel them. Cut your potatoes into approximately ¾-inch cubes. That’s right, exactly 3/4-inch cubes. Get a ruler and measure every cube just to be sure. (I hope you see that I’m laughing right now. The potato police are not going to show up if you don’t cut your potatoes exactly. Just get them into cube shapes, ok?) Place the cubed potatoes in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 10 minutes. Start checking potatoes for doneness after about 8 minutes. You want them to be cooked through but still able to keep their shape.

homefries_soft

Remove potatoes from the microwave and set aside. They should look something like the photo above.

homefries_butter

Melt the butter and olive oil in a nonstick frying pan.

homefries_turn&season

homefries_thyme

When the potatoes are a golden brown, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with fresh thyme (about a 1/2 teaspoon dried or 1 teaspoon fresh)…

homefries_paprika

… and dust with paprika.

These potatoes are good with nearly anything. Except maybe bread and butter pudding.

Recipe from the show Tyler’s Ultimate on Food Network

Home Fries

Rating: 51

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Home Fries

Perfect home fries! Cooking time is shortened by microwaving the potatoes first.

• Potatoes
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Thyme
  • Paprika

1. Wash and dry potatoes. Do not peel. Cut the potatoes into approximately ¾-inch cubes. Place in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 10 minutes. Start checking potatoes for doneness after about 8 minutes. You want them to be cooked through but still keep their shape.
  2. Remove potatoes from the microwave and set aside.
  3. Melt butter and olive oil in a nonstick frying pan. Add the potatoes. Using a spatula, lift and toss the potatoes to coat with the butter and oil. Be careful not to break the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue tossing the potatoes every few minutes to prevent burning. When the potatoes are a golden brown, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with fresh thyme and paprika.

1 redkathy October 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Oh yummy… I love potatoes!!

2 jenn (Bread + Butter) October 1, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Yum. Nothing beats home fries. Add some corned beef and you got yourself some hash. Yum!!

3 Kristen October 1, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Oh home fries are the best!. Although I am the type who slices potatoes for home fries these look amazing ;) the addition of thyme sounds great

4 Miranda October 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm

These homefries look perfect.

I could eat potatoes for every meal of the day…Yum.

5 Jessie October 2, 2009 at 1:58 pm

oh gosh, I am absolutely a huge fan of home fries! in fact, they are one of my favorite things to have for breakfast

6 Lana October 3, 2009 at 10:21 am

Give these a try, Jessie. You’ll really like them.

7 Simply Life October 3, 2009 at 7:09 am

Those look so delicious and comforting!

8 rosemaryandthegoat October 3, 2009 at 8:55 am

My mother use to make American fries that looked just like these except she added onion.

9 Lana October 3, 2009 at 10:20 am

Onion would be good in these, too. Also you could use any other herb you like.

10 Cooking Like Mom October 3, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I had such problems getting my fried potatoes just right for a long time. You have definitely found a great recipe! Thanks for sharing it here. My problem was that I just wasn’t cooking them long enough… I guess I was too impatient!

I love that you put a dash of paprika on at the end. My Mom always used to do that and her fried potatoes were always my favorite, of course. Thanks again for posting this wonderful recipe!

11 lululu October 3, 2009 at 6:17 pm

no fries are better than home-made ones. love the idea of adding a little paprika!!!

12 Ms Whit October 4, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Home Fries looks so delicious. I love potatoes cooked anyway. I will surely be cooking these. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

13 Miss P October 6, 2009 at 8:21 am

I am going to try these tonight, using left over baked potatoes. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Love the photos.

14 Lana October 6, 2009 at 9:06 am

That sounds good! Just make sure the baked potatoes are firm enough that they won’t fall apart. Let me know how that turns out.

15 Miss P October 8, 2009 at 8:26 am

They were great. It’s a good way to use the leftovers. Thanks for the idea.

16 Lana October 8, 2009 at 11:39 am

That’s good to know. Glad it worked out well for you.

17 gaga October 17, 2009 at 8:18 pm

I love home fries! I especially like your addition of thyme. Yum!

18 Kristi November 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

I could never ever ever make hashbrows or home fries!!! This morning I woke up 5:30 to take the puppy out in the freezing weather, so I decided to make breakfast. I searched TasteSpotting.com and found your recipe. I’m 29 and I have been cooking since I was 16… I have NEVER EVER EVER NEVER and NEVER once again have been able to make an acceptable breakfast potato, until now!! Thank you soooo much for sharing this recipe. I know this post is old, but it’s worthy of a re-post!! My potatoes were not burned, stuck or greasy, they were perfect. The sweet smoked paprika and touch of thyme were perfect!! The only addition I had was to saute some onions, and in the furture I may add some red bell… but other than that PERFECT! Perfect seasonings and perfect flavor! They go wonderful with a poached egg and a little hot sauce. These will be repeated!!! :-D I can’t wait to try this with maybe some sweet potatoes and chili powder, paprika, pinch of oregano and touch of cumin! Yum! Thanks again for sharing!! *hugs*

19 Jackie August 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thk u for this recipe, I made it this morning!
Jackie

20 Lana August 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

You’re welcome, Jackie! We always enjoy these home fries, too.