It’s Secret Recipe Club time again!In case you’ve forgotten, the Secret Recipe Club is a group of food bloggers each of whom are assigned to make and post a recipe from one of the other participants’ blogs. You visit your assigned blog, choose a recipe, make and post it. But, here’s the catch. You can’t reveal whose blog you have until the day of posting. It’s a lot of fun! If you think you’d like to participate, just fill out the form on the web site and the club’s coordinator, Amanda, will get in touch with you.
My secret recipe blog this month was Creative Kitchen. It’s written by Denise who is the mother of three girls and married to the sweetheart she met while they were both serving in the Navy. Besides cooking and blogging, Denise loves the outdoors and also describes herself as “a homesteader at heart.” I can relate to that!
I had the best time going through Denise’s recipes and choosing just the perfect one to make for Secret Recipe Club. She has loads of wonderful looking food on her blog. It was a difficult decision, but I finally settled on this Corn-Bacon Chowder. I’ve been looking for a good corn chowder recipe for a while and saw that this was a great opportunity to try her version. And, trust me, I was not disappointed. This is a delicious combination of corn, bacon, chicken and aromatic vegetables that will warm you up on the coming cool Fall evenings. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as BeeBop and I did.
You’ll start by combining water, chicken bouillon, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt and pepper in a large soup pot. Bring that to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot and let it cook until the potatoes are tender.
When the vegetables are tender, remove two cups of stock and vegetables and blend or process until smooth. Return to the pot.
Meanwhile, sprinkle the chicken with salt and garlic powder. Brown the chicken in butter and oil in a skillet. Add the crumbled bacon and cook for another couple of minutes then add the chicken and bacon to the soup pot.
Remove one cup of corn kernels and add directly to the soup pot. Process the remaining corn with the milk and butter until pureed. Add the pureed corn to the pot.
Add the chives and taste for seasoning. Add more milk if desired. Enjoy! And thanks to Denise at Creative Kitchen for a really enjoyable recipe!
A combination of corn, bacon, chicken and aromatic vegetables makes this chowder great for a cool Fall evening.
- 8 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (recommend Maggi brand)
- 1 ½ pounds red potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 10-12 grinds black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tblsp. oil
- 1 tblsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 16 oz. frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 tblsp. butter, softened
- 2 tblsp. snipped fresh chives
- In a large soup pot, combine the water, chicken bouillon cubes, carrots, celery, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook, covered, until potatoes are tender.
- When the vegetables are tender, remove two cups of stock and vegetables and blend or process until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the chicken with salt and garlic powder.
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add the crumbled bacon to the pan and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Add the bacon and chicken to the pot with the broth and vegetables.
- Remove one cup of corn kernels and add directly to the soup pot.
- Process the remaining corn with the milk and butter until pureed.
- Add the pureed corn to the pot.
- Add the chives and taste for seasoning. Add more milk if desired.
What I was cooking…