Never Enough Thyme’s Best of 2011

by Lana Stuart on December 30, 2011 · 21 comments

It’s that time of year when we all pause for a moment to take stock. To review what we accomplished during the previous year and to give some thought to what we want to accomplish for the coming year. So, what better time to look back at the most popular recipes here on Never Enough Thyme for 2011. Surprisingly, not all of these were 2011 posts. Some were older posts that just took off for some reason or other during the past year.

This is also the time of year when we try to say thank you to those people who mean so much to us. Most of all I have to give my heartfelt gratitude to my wonderful husband, Bill. Without his support and encouragement (and constant stats checking) I’m not sure that I would have stuck with blogging for this long. He’s one amazing man who keeps me focused and grounded. He always has a positive view of things and can help me see that as well.

Though not directly related to the blog, I do want to brag a little on my daughter, Laura. She just finished her first college degree! Not only did she attend school full-time, she also has a job, a husband and two children to take care of. That’s one busy, determined young mom. And, guess what – she starts on her next degree in about a week. Go Laura! We’re so proud of you.

And last, but by no means least, I am so thankful for the people who read Never Enough Thyme! I appreciate every single one of you who visit here. And those who leave encouraging comments and feedback — well, you’re just the best! From the bottom of my heart I am ever grateful.

Now – on to the Best of 2011 on Never Enough Thyme:

#10 – Homemade Peach Ice Cream

Homemade Peach Ice Cream

A Southern favorite and a special treat when peaches are at their peak!

#9 – Shepherd’s Pie

Shepherd's Pie

I love this humble shepherd’s pie made in a cast iron skillet like this. And, by the way, I heard from several of you who corrected my title saying that this was actually cottage pie and not shepherd’s pie. Thanks for that but where I grew up, this was always called shepherd’s pie. Call it whatever you like – it’s darned good eating.

#8 – Butter Roasted Chicken

Butter Roasted Chicken

I love this method for roasting chicken. It uses a whole stick of butter, but my goodness what a wonderful flavor in the final product! Don’t let that butter scare you off from trying this roasted chicken recipe.

#7 – Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie

A great, basic recipe for a classic chicken pot pie. It uses puff pastry for the crust making it so easy-peasy.

#6 – Southern Butterbeans

Southern Butterbeans

Another Southern classic! It just wouldn’t be summer without fresh butterbeans.

#5 – Turkey and Southern Cornbread Dressing

Southern Cornbread Dressing

My Mama’s recipe for Southern cornbread dressing. This makes an appearance on our table every Thanksgiving.

#4 – BLT Pasta

BLT Pasta

All the flavors of a great BLT in a bowl with pasta. Yummmmm. Fantastic weeknight dinner – just add a salad and some garlic bread!

#3 – Apples Pies – Baked not Fried

Baked Apple Pies

A baked version of a traditionally fried fruit dessert. A kitchen experiment that turned out very well!

#2 – Cilantro-Lime Shrimp

Cilantro Lime Shrimp

This luscious combination of shrimp, cilantro, lime and tomatoes was something I threw together for dinner one Sunday evening. The ingredients worked together so well! Bill and I sat at the table and shared this right out of the skillet. Be sure to have lots of French bread for soaking up the delicious juices.

#1 – Crispy Roasted Potatoes

Crispy Roasted Potatoes

These crispy roasted potatoes were hands-down the number one most viewed recipe on Never Enough Thyme for 2011! This combination of potatoes with olive oil, butter, shallots and lemon thyme is a definite winner. It’s easy enough for a family dinner and dressy enough for guests. An all-around winner of a recipe!

I hope you’ve enjoyed this review of the most popular recipes of 2011. I’d love to hear from you about the recipes you enjoyed most last year – whether they were from this blog, another blog, or your own recipe box – and what you’re planning to cook in 2012!

And just one more time – my deepest thanks for visiting and being a part of our family at Never Enough Thyme!

Lana

1 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen December 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm

If you lived closer, I would be showing up for supper every night! Love your cookin!

2 Lana December 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm

And you’d be welcome every night! Thanks so much.

3 DrDan at 101 Cooking for Two December 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm

An excellent round up and great pictures. Now I’m inspired to work on mine.

4 Barbara | Creative Culinary December 30, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I would love some of those potatoes RIGHT NOW. Everything looks delish, those look a bit to die for! Happy New Year Lana!

5 Lana December 31, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thanks and Happy New Year to you, Barbara!

6 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen December 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Happy new Year to you and your family Lana! I have to try those crispy roasted potatoes soon.

7 Katrina December 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Happy New Year! Love all your top recipes!

8 Jeanette December 30, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Love how pretty those roasted potatoes are and the cilantro lime shrimp looks delicious! Happy New Year!

9 Lana December 31, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thank you, Jeanette. Those two recipes are truly delicious. Hope you’ll try one.

10 Jersey girl cooks December 31, 2011 at 1:33 am

Mmmmnnn, now I’m hungry. Happy new year!

11 Liz December 31, 2011 at 7:06 am

Beautiful round up!!! Everything looks delicious~

Happy New Year!

12 Mari @ Mari's Cakes December 31, 2011 at 1:17 pm

They are all delicious! Thanks for sharing these wonderful recipes.

May 2012 be a year full of health, love, peace and prosperity for you and your family.

Hugs

13 Alison @ ingredients, Inc. December 31, 2011 at 4:33 pm

great collection! Happy New Year!

14 Rivki Locker December 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm

What a lovely roundup. Each of these looks lovely and I’ll check them all out (at least the ones I haven’t bookmarked yet!). Have a wonderful new year.

15 Jenn January 1, 2012 at 5:10 am

Lovely roundup, and wishing you a wonderful 2012!

16 Kim January 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Hi Lana –

Looks like you’ve had quite the year! That potato recipe looks like a real winner. I’m always looking for an alternative to my favorite mashed potatoes, so this one’s going to be saved for future use.

In 2012, I plan to get through a bucket list of things I’ve never done. One of them being: laminated dough. :-)

Happy New Year to you and yours!!

[K]

17 Lisa January 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm

There is not one dih in this list that I don’t want to devour, Beautiful, delicious round-up – Gorgeous photos! Happy 2012 to you!

18 Nancy@acommunaltable January 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hmm… wonder if it would be possible to Fed Ex one of those chickens? I could seriously go for that right now!! I can see why these were popular posts!!

19 Chris January 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

Happy New Year! And Congratulations, Lana! What an accomplishment.

Thanks for this lovely recap, as it reminded me of all your amazing contributions and the bookmarked recipes I haven’t made yet! (Like the Shepard’s pie and BLT pasta.)

Wishing you an absolutely wonderful 2012! Hope to see you soon!

20 Karen Kimbrel January 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Every time I take the time to visit with you, I am amazed all over again. This is a wonderful website and I believe you may be ready for The Food Network. Best wishes for a Happy Healthy Delicious 2012. Thanks for the update on your sweet family. Give my congratulations to Laura.

KK

21 Linda Walbridge January 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Lana,
Stumbled upon your site and it’s wonderful. I’m sure I’ll be back again and again. Every recipe in your top recipes for 2011 look delicious. Also nice to see another mature woman blogging – nothing against the young women blogging, but at times I feel like we are the minority (and maybe we are). Nice to meet you!