An Old-Fashioned Treat – Coke Floats

by Lana Stuart on June 18, 2012 · 17 comments

Coke Floats

Wow. What a full-of-fun, full-speed-ahead two weeks we’ve had! Our two precious grandchildren, Aidan and Maggie, just went home yesterday from two weeks with us. Those two weeks just flew by. Which just might have had something to do with us trying to pack every minute full of fun. We spent days at the movies, went to the zoo, went roller skating with cousins, had a cookout, went to BeeBop’s softball games, spent afternoons at the pool, and do you know what? This Nana is slap worn out. And I’d do it again in a minute. Nothing like grandkids.

One of the things I think they find truly entertaining is when we talk about the “old days.” You know – when we were kids – before cell phones and computers. And since we both grew up in very small southern towns, our old days talk can be, well, somewhat quaint. One day I was talking about things my sisters and I did during summer vacation when we were children. Our vacations involved some work in the garden and preserving vegetables, etc., but we had loads of fun, too. And almost every day in the late afternoon we had a little snack. A real southern treat. Coke with salted peanuts.

Now, I realize that many of you will have never heard of this peculiar southern treat. But those folks around my age who grew up anywhere in rural south Georgia will know exactly how to do this. Take an 8 ounce Coca-Cola in the bottle. It has to be a bottle. No cans. Drink a few swallows so that there’s some room in the bottle. Now pour in a small package of salted peanuts. No more than an ounce. Drink the Coke and munch the peanuts. It’s a sweet and salty treat that I still enjoy. Being the country girl that I am and all.

So while talking about Coke and peanuts, I found out that my grandchildren have never had Coke in the 8 ounce bottles. What! I knew I had to remedy that right away so I went straight to the store and picked up a six-pack. Of course it was more of a novelty than anything else, but they so enjoyed those little bottles of Coca-Cola. And at the end of the week there was one little bottle left. Hard to split that between two, so I came up with another childhood favorite for them to try – Coke Floats! According to them, they’d never enjoyed this particular treat either but were willing since it involved ice cream.

Making Coke Floats

As simple as pie – just scoop some vanilla ice cream into a glass, pour over the Coke and enjoy! I added a little whipped cream and a cherry just for good measure.

After these last two weeks talking about our childhoods, BeeBop and I are now officially dinosaurs :-)

An Old-Fashioned Treat – Coke Floats

Total Time: 5 minutes

An Old-Fashioned Treat – Coke Floats

An old-fashioned treat of vanilla ice cream, Coca-Cola, and whipped cream. With a cherry on top!

For each serving use:
  • 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
  • 4 oz. Coca-Cola
  • Whipped Cream
  • Cherry

1. Scoop the ice cream into tall glasses. Pour over the Coca-Cola. Top with whipped cream and a cherry.

What I was cooking…

1 Nancy@acommunaltable June 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Oh my goodness!! My one son would love the Coke and peanuts – definitely going to have to “surprise” him with that one! I haven’t made Coke floats for them in ages so I guess I am gonna have to do that too :-)!

Sounds like you had a fabulous two weeks!!

2 Lana June 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Nancy, we did have a fabulous time with them.

Can’t wait to hear your son’s reaction to the Coke and peanuts. That’s a real oldie and one that little southern country girls (and boys) know very well.

3 Barbara | Creative Culinary June 19, 2012 at 1:34 am

So glad to hear you had a great time with the grandkids. I think having one of these would make me feel like a grandkid…so I think it’s a must don’t you Lana? :)

4 Lana June 19, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Definitely a must, Barbara. What’s life if you can’t indulge in a treat once in a while, right?

5 Cookin' Canuck June 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

It sounds like you had such a wonderful visit with your grandchildren. My kids are always enthralled with stories about the “old days”, too. They still have a hard time comprehending what black & white TV was all about. These coke floats are such a fun treat.

6 Lana June 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Ha! Mine don’t have any idea what a rotary dial phone is!

7 Eileen June 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

What fun to read your post today, especially since I’ve just enjoyed a week with my grandson and felt the love! Absolutely had many a Coke with peanuts….I will remember to do this and the Coke floats with him next time. We talked about the old TV but I was able to share the time BEFORE my family ha TV and we small children would peek in the neighbors’ window to see it! I appreciate the day brightener, thank you!

8 Lana June 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm

That’s so funny, Eileen! We always had television, but there were only three channels :-)

9 Mary June 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Great photos and great recipe – my girls are going to love these!
Mary x

10 Lana June 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I hope they enjoy them!

11 Cyndia June 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Co-cola and peanuts was one of my favorite treats, and I still enjoy it when I can! Thanks for sharing this!

12 Pam June 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’ve only had root beer floats… these coke floats look amazing.

13 Miss P June 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

Do I recall that Mama frowned upon us when we put peanuts in our co-cola’s? That it was somehow not exactly ladylike? Hummmmm….

Side note – I was always of the impression that the Coca Cola bottlers used the same amount of syrup in the 6 ounce bottles as the 10 ounce bottles. Thus, the smaller bottles had more of a jolt and were preferred. Wonder if there is any truth to that.

Looks like ya’ll had a great time.

14 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective June 23, 2012 at 12:59 am

Yay, so much fun!! I want one. :)

15 RecipeNewZ (@RecipeNewZ) June 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I never actually made floats… such a terrible gap in my culinary education. Now that I found your recipe I can finally fill it :-). These floats look absolutely delicious!
I found this post though Pinterest. The photo was so beautiful that I just had to come here to read the recipe! And I am so glad I stopped by – love your site!
I would like to invite you to share your recipes on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched in May. The idea is simple: all photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site. It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com
Hundreds of bloggers have already joined. I hope you too get a chance to visit and try it out. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

16 Kay June 29, 2012 at 6:39 am

Have to try these. Jayden is gonna love them. Cola is a rare treat for him :)