An Old-Fashioned Treat – Coke Floats

Wow. What a full-of-fun, full-speed-ahead two weeks we’ve had! Our two precious grandchildren, Aidan and Maggie, just went home yesterday from two weeks with us. Those two weeks just flew by. Which just might have had something to do with us trying to pack every minute full of fun. We spent days at the movies, went to the zoo, went roller skating with cousins, had a cookout, went to BeeBop’s softball games, spent afternoons at the pool, and do you know what? This Nana is slap worn out. And I’d do it again in a minute. Nothing like grandkids.

One of the things I think they find truly entertaining is when we talk about the “old days.” You know – when we were kids – before cell phones and computers. And since we both grew up in very small southern towns, our old days talk can be, well, somewhat quaint. One day I was talking about things my sisters and I did during summer vacation when we were children. Our vacations involved some work in the garden and preserving vegetables, etc., but we had loads of fun, too. And almost every day in the late afternoon we had a little snack. A real southern treat. Coke with salted peanuts.

Now, I realize that many of you will have never heard of this peculiar southern treat. But those folks around my age who grew up anywhere in rural south Georgia will know exactly how to do this. Take an 8 ounce Coca-Cola in the bottle. It has to be a bottle. No cans. Drink a few swallows so that there’s some room in the bottle. Now pour in a small package of salted peanuts. No more than an ounce. Drink the Coke and munch the peanuts. It’s a sweet and salty treat that I still enjoy. Being the country girl that I am and all.

So while talking about Coke and peanuts, I found out that my grandchildren have never had Coke in the 8 ounce bottles. What! I knew I had to remedy that right away so I went straight to the store and picked up a six-pack. Of course it was more of a novelty than anything else, but they so enjoyed those little bottles of Coca-Cola. And at the end of the week there was one little bottle left. Hard to split that between two, so I came up with another childhood favorite for them to try – Coke Floats! According to them, they’d never enjoyed this particular treat either but were willing since it involved ice cream.

Making Coke Floats

As simple as pie – just scoop some vanilla ice cream into a glass, pour over the Coke and enjoy! I added a little whipped cream and a cherry just for good measure.

After these last two weeks talking about our childhoods, BeeBop and I are now officially dinosaurs :-)

An Old-Fashioned Treat – Coke Floats

An old-fashioned treat of vanilla ice cream, Coca-Cola, and whipped cream. With a cherry on top!
For each serving use:
  • 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
  • 4 oz. Coca-Cola
  • Whipped Cream
  • Cherry
  1. Scoop the ice cream into tall glasses. Pour over the Coca-Cola. Top with whipped cream and a cherry.

What I was cooking…

Comments

1. says

Oh my goodness!! My one son would love the Coke and peanuts – definitely going to have to “surprise” him with that one! I haven’t made Coke floats for them in ages so I guess I am gonna have to do that too :-)!

Sounds like you had a fabulous two weeks!!

• says

Nancy, we did have a fabulous time with them.

Can’t wait to hear your son’s reaction to the Coke and peanuts. That’s a real oldie and one that little southern country girls (and boys) know very well.

2. says

It sounds like you had such a wonderful visit with your grandchildren. My kids are always enthralled with stories about the “old days”, too. They still have a hard time comprehending what black & white TV was all about. These coke floats are such a fun treat.

3. Eileen says

What fun to read your post today, especially since I’ve just enjoyed a week with my grandson and felt the love! Absolutely had many a Coke with peanuts….I will remember to do this and the Coke floats with him next time. We talked about the old TV but I was able to share the time BEFORE my family ha TV and we small children would peek in the neighbors’ window to see it! I appreciate the day brightener, thank you!

4. Cyndia says

Co-cola and peanuts was one of my favorite treats, and I still enjoy it when I can! Thanks for sharing this!

5. Miss P says

Do I recall that Mama frowned upon us when we put peanuts in our co-cola’s? That it was somehow not exactly ladylike? Hummmmm….

Side note – I was always of the impression that the Coca Cola bottlers used the same amount of syrup in the 6 ounce bottles as the 10 ounce bottles. Thus, the smaller bottles had more of a jolt and were preferred. Wonder if there is any truth to that.

Looks like ya’ll had a great time.

6. RecipeNewZ (@RecipeNewZ) says

I never actually made floats… such a terrible gap in my culinary education. Now that I found your recipe I can finally fill it :-). These floats look absolutely delicious!
    I found this post though Pinterest. The photo was so beautiful that I just had to come here to read the recipe! And I am so glad I stopped by – love your site!
    I would like to invite you to share your recipes on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched in May. The idea is simple: all photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site. It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com
    Hundreds of bloggers have already joined. I hope you too get a chance to visit and try it out. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

Trackbacks