I have quite a few recipes that are my go-to’s for days when I’m either 1) too tired to cook, or 2) I just can’t come up with anything more exciting. Most of them are one-pot meals that require a little prep and have a long cooking time. I like that. It gives me time to do other things like set a pretty table or make a beautiful salad while the main dish tends to itself.
This Creamy Steak and Mushrooms is one of those old favorite standby recipes. It’s simple, satisfying, hearty food that is always enjoyed in our home. BeeBop really likes it. I mean, come on… it’s steak, mushrooms, and rice. That’s first cousins to meat and potatoes, right? Just kiddin’ sweetie.
Start by cutting the steak into 1/2″ cubes. Make sure it’s nice and dry, blotting with paper towels to remove moisture if needed. Sprinkle all over with seasoned salt. I always use Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, but any one that you like is fine.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed dutch oven. Add the steak and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Remove the steak to a paper towel lined plate and set it aside for now.
Into the same pan, add the chopped onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
Return the beef to the pan, add the mushroom soup, water, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
Cover the pan, place in oven and cook for 1 hour.
Serve over rice.
Steak tips in a creamy mushroom sauce served over rice.
- 1 ½ lbs. sirloin steak, cut in ½” cubes
- 1 tsp. (or more) seasoned salt (recommended: Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt)
- 1 ½ tblsp. oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 soup can water
- 3 tblsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooked rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle the steak liberally with seasoned salt. Cook beef in oil until brown. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain. Add chopped onions, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan and cook until onions are soft and translucent. Return the beef to the pan, add the mushroom soup, water, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, place in oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.
Original recipe from “A Standing Invitation”
Similar recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy from Cooking Light
- Steak Tips with Mushroom Sauce from La Mia Cucina
- Beef Tenderloin Tips with Bleu Cheese Sauce from What’s Cookin, Chicago?
What I was up to:
- One year ago: Bacon and Cheese Frittata
- Two years ago: Georgia BLT
- Three years ago: Chicken Cacciatore