I have a really quick post today for a really quick dinner. When you’re pressed for time, there’s nothing easier than a stir-fry. One of our favorites on any Asian menu is the cashew chicken. Almost always a safe bet no matter where you happen to be dining. There’s just something about the savory, sauced chicken contrasted with the fat waxiness of the cashews that make it particularly appealing.
Most stir-fry recipes can be completed from start to finish in well under 30 minutes. It depends a lot on how quickly you get your prep work done. And doing the prep before you start is always a must with stir-fry. Cut everything and have all your ingredients ready for the pan before you even turn on the stove. Oh yes, and always be sure to use an oil that can take high temperature cooking without burning! That was a lesson learned the hard way :-)
In less than 30 minutes you can have a great chicken stir-fry dinner with this simple and quick recipe.
- 4 tsp. cornstarch, divided
- 2 tblsp. soy sauce, divided
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1/2 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 2 tblsp. peanut oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Prep all ingredients before starting to cook.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Set aside for now.
- Toss the remaining cornstarch and soy sauce with the chicken in a large bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cashews and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add oil to pan, then add the chicken mixture. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add back the chicken mixture and cornstarch mixture to the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened. Add the cashews and green onions and stir to combine.
- Serve over steamed white or brown rice. Sprinkle with additional minced green onion before serving.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Other stir-fry recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Chicken Scallion Stir Fry from Amanda’s Cookin’
- Pork Stir Fry with Green Onion from Simply Recipes
- Stir Fried Cauliflower from Leite’s Culinaria
- Easy Stir-Fry Recipes from Eating Well
- Baby Bok Choy with Ground Chicken Stir Fry from Steamy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Scallion Stir Fry from Martha Stewart
What I was up to…