Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread

by Lana Stuart on January 3, 2014 · 27 comments

Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread

Well, the holidays are behind us now. All the shredded wrapping paper has been discarded, the decorations taken down and packed away, the cookies, cakes, and candies eaten, and the day-to-day rhythm of normal life restored. A lot of people talk about a post-holiday let-down feeling. Not me! I really love it when the hustle and bustle of that time melds into the quiet, stillness of winter. Even though I famously detest cold weather, I still look forward to the calmness that comes after Christmas. It feels like the world is sleeping while waiting for Spring to arrive.

And while the world sleeps, we cooks love to make our most comforting, filling, warming foods to sustain our families. This is the time for your best soups, stews, and chili. Those hearty dishes that keep us going through cold weather. One of our favorite things to have along with those recipes is cornbread. It just seems like the natural thing to go along with a bubbly pot of something from the stove, doesn’t it?

If you’re a long-time reader of Never Enough Thyme, you’ll know that I’m a self-confessed cornmeal snob. I have certain small-town brands that I swear by and come near to a swoon and faint if I should happen to run out of them. But, somehow…I don’t know what happened…I wound up with two boxes of corn muffin mix in my pantry one day. What the heck possessed me to buy them, I’ll never know. But there I was, cleaning out shelves, when I came face to face with those two little boxes. I seriously thought about just tossing them in the trash, but it’s really hard for me to throw away perfectly good food, so I started thinking of some way to use them up. I knew for certain that I wasn’t going to make them into muffins – too sweet! – but I thought maybe I could add something to the mix and make a fairly good cornbread. Wouldn’t you know it, on the shelf right under them was a bag of sour cream and onion chips! Ah ha! The lightbulb went off and an idea was born. Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread.  Hope you enjoy this one!

Preheat oven and skillet for Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread

Mixing ingredients for Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread

Pour cornbread mixture into hot butter in skillet

When the oven has preheated, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour the cornbread batter into the center of the pan.  Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread

Rating: 41

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Sour Cream and Onion Cornbread

An easy way to "doctor up" a corn muffin mix - add sour cream and onions! Delicious with chili, soups, and stews.

• 2 tblsp. butter
  • 2 8.5 oz. boxes corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

1. Place the butter in a 10” cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven. Turn the oven on to preheat to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the corn muffin mix, chopped green onions, milk, sour cream, and eggs. Mix until thoroughly combined.
  3. When the oven has preheated, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour the cornbread batter into the center of the pan. Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Other cornbread recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:

What I was up to…

1 gloria patterson January 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm

thats what I say about jiff it is to sweet! i will try this trick maybe even get brave and see what I can add to my mix

2 Lana Stuart January 3, 2014 at 2:21 pm

It is *very* sweet, isn’t it Gloria? This really toned it down a lot but there’s still some sweet in the background for sure :-)

3 Ordinary J January 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I have a cast iron that I only used once and it’s kind of rusty. I don’t know how to get it cleaned. I love corn bread and I would love to make it using my cast iron if only I know how to get rid of the rust….

4 Lana Stuart January 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm

You just need to re-season your pan. Here’s a good step-by-step guide on how to do that. http://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-shortcuts/how-to-reseason-a-cast-iron-skillet-109652#slide-1

Remember – you never wash a cast iron skillet once it has been properly seasoned. Just wipe it out, then put a few drop of oil on a paper towel and rub it lightly over the cooking surface. I store mine stacked up (I have many) with paper towels between them.

5 LindySez January 3, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Haha, I thought you were going to put the sour cream and onion chips in your bread…but how about crumbled as a topping?

6 Lana Stuart January 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm

If you decide to try that, LindySez, I’d like to know how it works out :-)

7 Jan January 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm

After 53 years of marriage, my crusty cornbread is the food my husband compliments the most, and he can detect when I use a brand other than his favorite. Just wondering if you can share the name of your favorite brand?

8 Lana Stuart January 3, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Sure, Jan! I have two favorites – one is Hoover’s and the other is Arnett’s. I can usually get either in the grocery stores around my south Georgia home town, but they’re not available where I live now. I just stock up when I go home for a visit :-)

What’s your favorite brand?

9 Jan January 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm

My husband prefers Aunt Jemimah. I can only find it in a mix with a little flour added in, but the flour is not objectionable. Like many of your readers, he doesn’t like cornbread with so much flour that it has the texture of cake. I heat oil (I suspect more oil than most recipes call for, although I never measure) in my cast iron skillet on top of the stove (DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED) until very hot, then pour some of the oil into the batter, but leave quite a bit (a tablespoon at least?) in the hot pan so that when I pour the batter into the very hot skillet, the crust immediately starts frying and gets very golden and crisp as it finishes baking in the oven. When it’s also very golden on top, I flip it upside down onto a plate and immediately slice into eighths and separate them slightly. This seems to keep the cornbread from steaming and making the crust softer. The only other trick I use is to add a little water to the batter just before pouring it into the pan. I read once that doing so starts the browning faster than using just milk or buttermilk in the recipe. You’d think liquid is liquid, but I do get crisp, crunchy crust. And a standing request to call my husband the moment it comes out of the oven so he can slice and butter a couple of pieces. Any leftovers I freeze for dressing. Have never seen the two brands you mentioned in this area (between Atlanta and Columbuc, GA), but will look for them when I travel. Love to experiment!

10 Lorraine January 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Thank you for the tip on reseasoning cast iron pans. I haven’t used my cast iron for a long time because I have a glass top stove. But I will put it in the oven. Thanks.

11 Lana Stuart January 3, 2014 at 2:49 pm

You’re welcome, Lorraine. I know you’re not supposed to, but I use mine on my glass top stove all the time. Shhh…don’t tell! By the way – I *hate* that glass top. It was in the house when we bought it and I just haven’t replaced it yet. Do you like yours?

12 Angie | Big Bear's Wife January 3, 2014 at 4:48 pm

That looks so good!

13 Mike January 3, 2014 at 7:17 pm

If it has sugar in it then it’s cake. Cornbread does not contain sugar. At least in the south it don’t!

14 Miss P January 3, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Ok, confession time. My most favorite cast iron frying pan is so deeply seasoned that I do (gasp!) wash it. But only by hand & really fast & immediately dry it by hand followed by light heat on the stove top.
This sounds really good. I’ll give it a try.

15 Lana Stuart January 3, 2014 at 9:23 pm

You can revive that pan by putting in a really hot outdoor fire, like when burning leaves in the fall. Just put it in with the leaves before you set the fire and let it stay there until the fire has burned out and the pan is completely cool – overnight. Any old built up crud should burn off in the fire!

16 Rachel January 7, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I wash mine too. It doesn’t rust, must be well seasoned.
When my mother got a fireplace she had a wonderful time burning off the residue left by her kids washing her skillet but not well.

17 Lana Stuart January 8, 2014 at 8:14 am

I have heard of other people putting their cast iron into the fireplace, too! Or even in the oven when running a self-cleaning cycle, though I don’t think that is recommended!

18 Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen January 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I LOVE cornbread..this doctored up version sounds incredible! :)

19 Lana Stuart January 4, 2014 at 7:34 pm

We love cornbread, too, Christina! My usual, plain cornbread is delicious but it’s also great doctored up like this for a change.

20 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles January 4, 2014 at 2:07 pm

This looks like an awesome rendition of the cornbread casserole we love, thanks for sharing!

21 Lana Stuart January 4, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Brenda. It makes a nice change from the usual plain cornbread.

22 Linda Rosencrans January 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I do something similar but I add brocolli , sweet onions , and shredded cheese…I love this and so do my friend..but I am going to try yours…think it would be good with soup beans..I serve the one with brocolli with pulled pork…love your recipes

23 Lana Stuart January 4, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting, Linda! Yes, this would be really good with beans of any kind.

24 Sues January 4, 2014 at 4:14 pm

What a great idea for a different kind of cornbread! I could eat this for a meal and be perfectly happy! :)

25 Lana Stuart January 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Me too, Sues! You know you could also add a can of creamed corn and some crumbled bacon to this as well. You know…just because :-)

26 Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg January 5, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Ooo, this looks good. I’ll have to try it. Pinning so I can remember it.

27 Lana Stuart January 6, 2014 at 8:16 am

Thanks Norma. Hope you enjoy it!