I’ve always enjoyed a good vegetable salad. I like the ones with no lettuce and no tomatoes best. I think it’s because they’re so different from a regular old tossed green salad. Yes, give me a bowl full of veggies, maybe a little bacon, and some sort of sweet-tangy dressing and I’m happy. I’ll take something just like this Broccoli Salad recipe.
This is another one of those old recipes that my friends and I made way back in the day. I’ve noticed that it’s enjoying a bit of a revival lately and have seen it pop up on several sites as though it was something brand spanking new. That always makes me chuckle. I’ve changed this version slightly from the original which called for mayonnaise where I’ve used Greek yogurt and raisins instead of dried cranberries. Either way it’s just delicious and will make a fantastic addition to your Memorial Day menu!
Cook the bacon, crumble and set aside.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 3 minutes. Immediately drain the broccoli and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Allow the broccoli to drain very well. Spread on paper towels or set it in a colander. You want the broccoli as dry as possible.
In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, vinegar, and sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the onion, cranberries, sunflower kernels, broccoli, and bacon.
Toss gently, taking care not to break up the broccoli, until well mixed and coated with the dressing.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for flavors to combine.
Other vegetable salads you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Black Pepper Cauliflower Salad from 101 Cookbooks
- Kale Salad with Cherries and Pecans from Steamy Kitchen
- Blueberry Corn Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Apple, Pecan, and Blue Cheese Salad with Dried Cherries from The Pioneer Woman
- Asparagus Artichoke Salad from Simply Recipes
What I was up to…
- One year ago: Strawberry Banana Jello Mold
- Two years ago: BeeBop’s Bacon Cheeseburger
- Three years ago: Memorial Day Menu Planning
- Four years ago: Strawberry Jam
- Five years ago: The Real Deal Banana Pudding