For the past few weeks, I haven’t been in the kitchen at all. Something about not bearing weight on your foot combined with an immobilization boot and a walker-scooter device for getting around just doesn’t lend itself very well to cooking. Thankfully, BeeBop is a pretty good cook himself and has taken on all our meal preparation while I’ve been
enjoying lounging patiently waiting for my ankle to mend itself. All joking aside, I have a doctor’s appointment this afternoon and we’re hoping that he’ll let me start putting a little weight on my foot and get some physical therapy going as well. Cross your fingers for me!
Being out of the kitchen for this length of time is something so foreign to me that by last weekend I just couldn’t stand it any longer! So, with BeeBop’s help I put together a marinade and we grilled some steaks. That’s about the simplest thing I could think of and it worked out just fine.
I wanted to try something a little different from our usual dry rub mixture that we use for steaks, so I came up with a citrus based marinade with lots of Mediterranean flavors. Good olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, rosemary, and garlic. It was delicious!
The only caution – don’t leave your steaks in the marinade too long or the citrus juice will start to cook them. Not good.
Just mix up your marinade ingredients in a large ziploc bag, add the steaks and let them sit for about 1 1/2 hours. No more. Grill the steaks until they’re cooked the way you like them. While you’re cooking the steaks, heat the marinade over medium heat, reduce to a simmer and keep warm. Spoon a little of the warm marinade over the finished steaks while they’re resting.
You’re gonna really love this one. I just know it!
Other steak marinade recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Teriyaki Garlic Steak Marinade from Drick’s Rambling Cafe
- Grilled Tri-Tip Steak with Molasses Chili Marinade from Cookin’ Canuck
- Marinated Flank Steak (London Broil) from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Grapefruit, Ginger, and Honey Flank Steak from Creative Culinary
- Bobby Flay’s World Famous Steak Rub from Food Network
- The WhiteHogg World Championship Steak Marinade from Food Network
What I was up to…
- One year ago: Italian Sausage and Roasted Pepper Sandwich
- Two years ago: Toasted Pecan Chicken Salad
- Three years ago: Fruited Green Salad