Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese is a delicious flavor combination and a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving menu.
Have you started planning your Thanksgiving menu yet? I've been thinking about it and have come up with something a little out of the ordinary.
I like to change things up with a new recipe or two from year to year so I've been trying out a few new things. Like this butternut squash recipe. It's definitely a keeper and it's going on the menu for this year along with my Southern Cornbread Dressing, an Apple and Cranberry Salad, and an Old Fashioned Pumpkin Roll. Yum.
This is simply roasted butternut squash tossed with pecans and blue cheese. Easy, quick, and full of flavor! My official taste tester, also known as BeeBop, and I both agreed that it was one of the best ways we've found to enjoy butternut squash.
How to Make Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese
I always like to show you the photos and step-by-step instructions for my recipes to help you picture how to make them in your own kitchen. If you just want to print out a copy, you can skip to the bottom of the post where you'll find the recipe card.
Start by preparing the squash. Now, cutting and peeling a butternut squash take some strength and you should be very careful with your knife when doing this. Here are some hints to make it easier:
Before you start peeling or chopping, microwave the squash whole for about 30 to 45 seconds. This will soften the squash slightly and make the job a little easier. Just stab it all over with a very sharp knife and pop it into the microwave.
Next, slice off about ¼-inch from each end. Stand the squash on one flat end and, using a sharp vegetable peeler, peel all the skin.
Now carefully cut the entire squash in half lengthwise and then again crosswise. Once you have it in manageable pieces, scoop out all the seeds and the "goo." If you have a serrated grapefruit spoon, it's a great tool for cleaning out the seed cavity.
After you've cleaned and peeled the squash, cut it into about 1" cubes. Put the cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle over the thyme leaves. Toss well so that all the cubes are coated with olive oil.
Roast the squash in a 425 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until it's tender and just lightly golden brown.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the squash cool for a few minutes.
Toss the baked squash with the pecans and blue cheese. Add some additional fresh thyme leaves if desired.
You May Also Like ...
- Squash and Cornbread Casserole
- Baked Acorn Squash
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato and Pecan Stuffing
Have you tried this recipe? I'd love for you to give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card and/or in the comments section further down.
You can always stay in touch on social media by following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest and Sign Up to Get my Newsletter, too!
Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese
- 4 ½ lb butternut squash (one medium sized squash)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 stems fresh thyme
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Halve or quarter the squash and scoop out the seeds. Peel and then cut the squash into 1” cubes.
- Put the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with thyme leaves. Toss so that all the squash is coated with oil.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly. Toss with pecans and blue cheese. Add additional fresh thyme leaves if desired.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
-- This post was originally published on October 26, 2012.
More Butternut Squash Recipes ...
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup from Elena's Pantry
- Sweet and Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash from Inspired Taste
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Mac 'n Cheese from Brown Eyed Baker