Country Fried Steak

by Lana Stuart on November 2, 2009 · 29 comments

Country Fried Steak from @NevrEnoughThyme

I rarely fry foods these days. After all, it makes a big mess on the stove, the whole house smells for days afterwards, and it’s not all that healthy. However, once in a while, I just have to open up some windows, put on a big apron and fry up a batch of country fried steak. It’s another good old southern comfort classic. How many times have I seen my Mama cook this? It was a staple on our dinner table when I was growing up. Of course, Daddy always had cows on the farm so we always had beef in the freezer (pork, too). Nowadays I get all my beef from the grocery store. Too bad those local sources are so scarce now.

I know that there are folks who would call this “chicken fried steak.” Now, I’m no culinary expert, but I believe there is a difference. In my opinion chicken fried steak is the dish where the steak is dipped in an egg or egg and milk mixture before flouring and frying. Country fried steak skips the dipping step and simply dredges a well-seasoned piece of cubed steak in flour and then straight into hot oil.

This recipe doesn’t give any measurements because, well, I haven’t ever measured any of it! It’s more of a method where you use as much of whatever you need as you go along. Try it once and you’ll get it.

Cubed Steak
Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt
All-Purpose Flour
Cooking Oil

CFS_steak

Cubed steak is simply round steak that the butcher has run through some sort of machine in the meat market that makes cuts all across it. It makes the steak really tender. If necessary, cut your steak into serving sized pieces.

CFS_skillet&oil

Put about ½ inch of oil over medium-high heat in a heavy cast iron skillet. It’s a good idea to use a high-heat oil such as peanut oil for this because you want it to get good and hot.

CFS_season

Liberally season both sides of the cubed steak with the seasoning salt. I’m using Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt in the picture, but you can use Lawry’s or any seasoning salt that you like. Or the traditional, just plain salt and pepper. Whatever you use, be sure to really use it liberally.

CFS_dredging

Now, dredge the steak one piece at a time in flour. And we are talking about dredging the steak, not dusting or lightly flouring – dredging.  See the pan at the top left? That’s an 8×8 pan with probably 2 or 3 cups of flour in it. You want enough flour that you can really bury the steak down in it and get flour all in and around that steak. Massage it a little, rub it around and get it really coated well. Lift it up and give it a little shake, but not much. You want a lot of flour sticking to your steak.

CFS_hotoil

Check the oil to make sure it’s ready. My trick for that is to put the end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If bubbles start coming up around the handle, it’s ready. Now, carefully place your prepared steak in the hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on one side. Don’t crowd the pan. If you put too much in the pan at one time, the temperature of the oil falls and then you wind up with steak stuck to the pan and all that crispy, crunchy goodness stays on the bottom of the pan instead of on the steak where it belongs. Besides this cooks so quickly that you can easily do it in batches.

CFS_turnsteak

After 3-4 minutes, check for adequate browning. It should be really good and richly browned. Turn to the second side to cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove steak to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm until serving.

If you’d like to make a brown gravy to serve with your country fried steak, here’s what you do.  Pour out all but about 4 tablespoons of the cooking oil, but keep all the crispies and drippings in the pan. Put the pan back over medium heat and sprinkle in about 4 to 6 tablespoons of flour.  Stir and cook until the flour turns a golden brown. Stir in about 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until thickened. It only takes a few minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.

Country Fried Steak

An old deep south classic. Cubed round steak, well seasoned and dredged in flour then fried to a golden brown.
  • Cubed Steak
  • Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt
  • All-Purpose Flour
  • Cooking Oil
  1. If necessary, cut the cubed steak into serving sized pieces. Heat about ½ inch of oil over medium-high heat in a heavy cast iron skillet.
  2. Liberally season both sides of the cubed steak with the seasoning salt. You can use any seasoning salt that you like or just plain salt and pepper. Dredge the steak one piece at a time in flour. Carefully place the prepared steak in the hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on one side. Check for adequate browning and turn to the second side to cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove steak to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm until serving.

1 ceecee November 2, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Being from Western Canada, I’ve never had country fried steak – but I’d like to try it sometime!

2 jenn (Bread + Butter) November 2, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I had country fried steak once several years ago. It was sooo good. i wish I was having this for dinner.

3 Miranda November 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I LOVE country fried steak. My husband does not, so I do not get to ever enjoy it…Oh. how I wish I could have some now…

4 lululu November 2, 2009 at 7:00 pm

i’m with u here, i rarely do frying just to avoid the mess in the kitchen. but sometimes i just cant resist a perfect recipe like this one.

5 Neena November 2, 2009 at 7:46 pm

This looks great and makes me think of the many times that I have prepared this. Little did we know that fried foods would kill us. When I eat anything fried now I feel guilty for at least an hour, maybe 15 or 20 minutes.

6 Rachel J November 2, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Oowweee NanaLana! I have lived in the South for over 10 years and I am weak in the knees for your country fried steak. The man in my life is a FL boy so thanks so much for sharing your family’s traditional method. I think he’s gonna love it!

7 Kay November 3, 2009 at 8:25 am

Looks great! I’ve seen the mixed up salt more often. Is it any good?

8 Lana November 3, 2009 at 8:35 am

We like it very much. I use it on lots of different things – meats, veggies, even salad. I think you’d be very pleased with it.

9 Jessie November 3, 2009 at 9:37 am

yum! that country fried steak looks delicious and comforting

10 Karine November 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I have never had country fried steak too. It sounds delicious!

11 Linda November 4, 2009 at 11:11 am

I really appreciate being able to print out a “printable” page for my recipe files. This is too easy not to try tonight!

12 Lana November 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I’m happy to provide those printable pages for anyone who wants them. So much simpler than trying to print directly from the blog, isn’t it? Hope your country fried steak turns out good. Let me know if you enjoy it!

13 Jeanette November 20, 2010 at 9:37 am

I have eaten steak cooked like this all my life and didn’t know anyone could ever think it was not good for you. Another version to this steak is (steak fingers). Do everything the same, except when you are flouring the steak cut it into strips about 2 inches wide and 4 to 6 inches long, then roll it. Just mash down and roll it like you would a bread stick. Then fry. Make white or brown gravy and dip as you are eating. (finger food is good for you).

14 TL September 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I make this quite a bit, partly because cube steak is so affordable. My mistake has been not dredging enough and not getting my oil hot enough. Thanks for the tips!

15 JStrom February 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm

It’s very important to ensure your steaks are very dry prior to dredging in flour, otherwise the liquid between the meat and flour will turn to steam and won’t allow the crust to adhere to the meat during cooking. I’ve always made mine with milk/pepper gravy and rice. If ever I’m on death row, this will be on the menu for my final meal!

16 Jenny Smith March 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I have always loved chicken fried steak, but my mother is from out West, and so it was something we had to get in restaurants. Who knew it was so easy! We had some friends over Sunday before last, and I fed 12 people chicken fried steak for about $15.00 total. Cheap and delicious. Thank you, Lana!

17 Trader Joes Recipes May 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh this sounds and looks so delightful! I haven’t had country fried steak in forever… I think I might just need to make this stat!

18 Sarah June 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm

My Hubby will be thrilled if I master this recipe for him! I wish I had been able to make it for my daddy! It was his number one go to on any restaurant menu!

19 Lana Stuart June 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Good luck, Sarah. It’s really, really easy and I’m sure you’ll do fine. I’d love to know how it works out for you.

20 Amy - Funny is Family July 1, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I love country fried steak (and chicken fried steak) and haven’t had much of it since moving to Connecticut five years ago. I’m going to make it, AFTER I open all the windows!

21 Melanie July 28, 2013 at 10:37 am

I like to use morton nature seasoning. My husband hunts so we used cubed venison steak and cream gravy.

22 Monni April 15, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Gonna try this tonight yes indeed

23 Rich April 21, 2014 at 9:37 am

Lana thanks for the recipe. I have tried this with round steak and cube steak over the years and rarely get it to come out right, its always good but I usually have trouble with the breading adhering to the steak. I am thinking that either the meat has not been “dry enough” as one person commented, or that my temperature has not been hot enough. Everyone always says make sure your oil is hot enough, but I never actually see them say what temperature is hot enough… any suggestions on the correct temp?

24 Lana Stuart April 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Rich – would you believe that I don’t even own a frying thermometer. I guess it’s just experience that tells me when it’s ready.

25 sue buresh April 21, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Your recipe for Country Fried Steak calls for Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Salt. Is this your concoction or a brand of salt?

26 Lana Stuart April 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm

It’s a brand name. You can use any seasoned salt that you like or just simply salt and pepper.

27 sue buresh April 21, 2014 at 10:26 pm

28 Kristina July 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I love Chicken Fried Steak!! If you marinate the cube steaks in buttermilk over night, (discard buttermilk before cooking), add some seasonings to your flour, double dip the cube steaks, (in flour, then buttermilk, then flour) then fry them up, they will be more flavorful. Sorry but your way is just too bland. I from Texas, we like things with a lot of flavor!! :)