Black Walnut Pumpkin Bread - a not-too-sweet pumpkin quick bread with the addition of fragrant wild American black walnuts.
When the calendar turns to fall, the first thing I think of is pumpkin. I have quite a few pumpkin recipes including a delicious Pumpkin Roll, my Glazed Pumpkin Pound Cake, and even a pumpkin brownie recipe. But the easiest pumpkin recipe I have in my collection is this wonderful Black Walnut Pumpkin Bread.
This bread is good at any time of day - for dessert, an afternoon snack, or with breakfast. I especially enjoy a slice with a cup of sweet, creamy coffee.
Now, of course, this recipe can be made with regular walnuts or even pecans, but have you ever cooked with black walnuts? The fragrance! It's just amazing. It's a beautiful, almost perfume-like scent.
The brand I normally use is Hammon's and according to the Hammon's company web site, they are wild, hand-harvested black walnuts which they buy each year from individuals across the Midwest.
Even though they cost a little more than regular walnuts, they are so worth the price. If you see them in your store this fall, be sure to take some home and try this fabulous quick bread.
How to Make Black Walnut Pumpkin Bread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan and set it aside.
Combine the eggs, oil, pumpkin and water in a large bowl. Stir together until well mixed.
Sift the dry ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Stir into the wet ingredients.
Stir in the chopped walnuts.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for one hour or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
This bread is really delicious on its own, but it's even better spread with a little cream cheese, butter, or honey.
It's both! It's also a great afternoon snack. Have a slice with a cup of coffee or tea for a real treat.
Yes. Just wrap it well or slip it into a plastic bag. Keep it for up to two days at room temperature. For longer storage, I'd recommend freezing your bread.
Pumpkin Quick Bread Recipes Curated for You
- Best Pumpkin Bread from Recipe Girl
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread from Barbara Bakes
- Chai Pumpkin Bread from 28 Cooks
- Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread from Taste and Tell
Black Walnut Pumpkin Bread
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts (or substitute regular walnuts or pecans)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine the eggs, oil, pumpkin and water in a large bowl.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar after the bread has cooled (optional).
- This bread is really delicious on its own, but it's even better spread with a little cream cheese, butter, or honey.
- This loaf is very versatile and can serve as either dessert, breakfast, or a snack.
- To store, wrap it well or slip it into a plastic bag. Keep it for up to two days at room temperature. For longer storage, I'd recommend freezing your bread.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.