Buttermilk Baked Chicken – Chicken marinated in buttermilk and seasonings, coated with cornflake crumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked until crunchy.
So, here it is just a few days after Thanksgiving. The food blog world is slammed with Christmas cookies, Christmas candies, Christmas cakes, Christmas dinner recipes, Christmas gifts from the kitchen, and what am I posting? Uh…buttermilk baked chicken? Well, yeah.
Besides all that Christmas goodness, you still have to get dinner on the table, right? Even with everything else going on right now you still have to feed your family! Last Saturday was a long day full of activity for me and BeeBop, so I threw this recipe together early that morning and left it in the fridge while we were gone. Late that afternoon, I pulled this chicken out, quickly dredged it in its corn flake and Parmesan mixture and popped it in the oven. Total prep time less than 10 minutes! Then I left it to bake while I took care of some more things around the house. Easy!
Hope you enjoy this very quick and easy family recipe and I promise all of you that the next few weeks will be nothing but Christmas recipes!
How to Make Buttermilk Baked Chicken
To get started, all you need is a bowl large enough to hold your buttermilk marinade and chicken. One of my large mixing bowls works just fine for this.
Pour in all the marinade ingredients – buttermilk, lemon juice, Tabasco, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper – and stir them together. Add the chicken pieces which you have patted dry with paper towels. Toss it around a little to make sure all the chicken is covered by the buttermilk mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge. It needs a minimum of three hours and no more than 12 hours to marinate.
When you’re read to bake, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Get out a large baking pan and put a wire rack in it. I also line the pan with foil just to make the clean up easier.
In a small, shallow pan, mix together the corn flake crumbs, Parmesan cheese, thyme and salt. You can purchase crushed corn flakes in the baking aisle of your grocery store, or make your own. It’s up to you. I’ll take the shortcut and buy mine :-)
Remove each piece of chicken from the marinade allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl. Dredge with the corn flake mixture pressing the mixture firmly onto the chicken to help it adhere.
Place the prepared chicken pieces on the wire rack. Cook for 45 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
More Chicken Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Salsa Chicken
- Paprika Chicken
- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- Lemon Olive Chicken
- Bacon Roasted Chicken Thighs
Baked “Fried” Chicken Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Apartment Therapy’s Baked Fried Chicken
- Everybody Likes Sandwiches’ Spicy Oven Fried Chicken
- Ina Garten’s Oven Fried Chicken from Food Network
- Oven Fried Chicken from Eating Well Magazine
- The Best Oven Fried Chicken from Fifteen Spatulas
- Judy Hesser’s Oven Fried Chicken from Leite’s Culinaria
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tblsp. Tabasco
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl, mix the buttermilk, lemon juice, Tabasco, onion, thyme, garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
- Wipe the chicken dry with paper towels and add to the bowl.
- Toss to coat well with the buttermilk mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a wire rack in a baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a small, shallow pan, mix the corn flakes, Parmesan cheese, thyme and salt.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture allowing any excess to drip off.
- Dredge each piece of chicken thoroughly in the corn flake mixture, pressing to make sure the dry mixture sticks to the chicken.
- Place the prepared chicken on the wire rack allowing space around each piece.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 270 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 1919mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 16g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: