I guess you can tell that we’re really getting into the Fall season around here. Two pumpkin recipes in a row! I hope that won’t be too boring for you since they’re very different. The pumpkin roll I posted last is a great dessert, but this Black Walnut Pumpkin Bread is good any time – for dessert, an afternoon snack or with breakfast. I especially enjoy a slice with a cup of sweet, creamy coffee.
I was already planning to make a loaf of my standard not-too-sweet pumpkin quick bread anyway and when I saw the bags of black walnuts last week at the grocery store I just knew that they would make a great addition! Have you ever cooked with black walnuts? I honestly don’t remember ever using them in a recipe so when I cut open the bag I literally stopped dead in my tracks for a few seconds. The fragrance! It was just amazing. It’s a beautiful, almost perfume-like scent. According to the Hammon’s company web site, these are wild, hand-harvested black walnuts which they buy each year from individuals across the Midwest. Even though they cost a little more than regular walnuts, they are so worth the price. If you see them in your store this Fall, be sure to take some home and try this fabulous quick bread.
Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Hammon’s. They have absolutely no idea who I am. I just happen to like their walnuts!
1/2 cup oil
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped black walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
Combine the eggs, oil, pumpkin and water in a large bowl.
Sift the dry ingredients together and stir into pumpkin mixture.
Stir in walnuts.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for one hour or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
A not-too-sweet pumpkin quick bread with the addition of wild American black walnuts.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine the eggs, oil, pumpkin and water in a large bowl. Sift the dry ingredients
- together and stir into pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
Other pumpkin quick bread recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Pumpkin Bread with Crumb Topping from the Hungry Housewife
- For the Love of Cooking’s Pumpkin Bread
- Barbara Bakes has a recipe for Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Chai Pumpkin Bread on 28 Cooks