Bistro Chicken is chicken simmered in a tomato and mushroom sauce topped with cheese and bacon.
I found this recipe for Bistro Chicken in a Kraft Foods publication years ago and since I almost always have some chicken breasts on hand it has become a standard for weeknight dinners in our house. It’s simple and quick to put together and uses ingredients that most of us have on hand.
The combination of chicken, bacon, and cheese reminded me a lot of the Alice Springs Chicken entree at Outback Steakhouse. I served it over a mound of mashed potatoes, but it would also be great with noodles.
Give this one a try. I think you’ll like it!
This recipe is so simple that you won’t even need any step-by-step photos to follow!
How to Make Bistro Chicken
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms (I didn’t have any fresh, so I used a can of sliced mushrooms) and onions. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.
Add the chicken breasts. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat 12 minutes or until chicken is done. Top each chicken breast with cheese and bacon. You can cook up a couple of slices of bacon in the microwave or you could substitute about a 1/4 cup of bacon bits if you have those. Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
More Chicken Recipes on Lana’s Cooking:
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped
- 15 ounces canned stewed tomatoes undrained
- ¼ cup Zesty Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions.
- Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.
- Add chicken.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low heat 12 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Top with cheese and bacon.
- Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.