Today is election day. The first Tuesday in November. The day set aside for the citizens of the United States to cast their ballots for the men and women who will lead our nation for the coming four years. Casting a vote by secret ballot is one of the cornerstones of our democratic process and one that should be undertaken with careful consideration and solemnity.
I do not discuss politics here on Never Enough Thyme. I just don’t think it’s appropriate and it’s not what this blog is about. I simply want to remind everyone of the right, privilege, and responsibility that we as citizens of this country are afforded through the act of voting for our leaders. As you consider your vote today, make your selection carefully and with ample forethought. And remember the thousands who have given their lives to defend our way of government and to protect your right to cast your vote. Choose your leaders for the next four years wisely. We’ll have to live with today’s choices for a long time.
If your election day weather is anything like ours, 42 degrees and raining – yuck! – you’ll need something to warm you up when you’re finished at the polls. Something just like this spiced hot cocoa.
This isn’t just any hot cocoa. Oh, no. It’s all jazzed up with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, three of my favorite flavors, and it takes mere minutes to prepare. Add a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and you’re chasing away the wet, cold, cloudy weather. This hot cocoa may be called a beverage, but I’d choose it for dessert any day.
Combine the cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Blend in the hot water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the milk, stirring to mix and heat thoroughly but do not boil. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
Top with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon if desired.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine the cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Blend in the hot water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, stirring to mix and heat thoroughly but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Top with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon if desired.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Other hot cocoa recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Pink Peppercorn Hot Chocolate from Kayotic Kitchen
- Hot Chocolate (with a discussion of variations) from Simply Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate from Fat Free Vegan
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate from Elana’s Pantry
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Mix from Pennies on a Platter
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix from Munchin’ with Munchkin
What I was up to…