I’m just trying to think if there’s anyone I know or have ever met who doesn’t like potatoes. Nope. Can’t think of a single one. I think they’re probably the most universally adored food among all ages. And why not! You can do so much with them – mash them, roast them, boil them, bake them, make a salad, douse them in oil, smother them in butter, but take one and wrap it up in bacon and my, oh my.
This is such a simple recipe. The main part is two ingredients – potatoes and bacon. And the dipping sauce takes just seconds to prepare. By the way, if you have leftovers of the sauce, it’s great on a baked potato as well.
This recipe can be multiplied up as many times as you want. Just make the amount you think you need for your family and friends.
Start by washing and drying the fingerling potatoes. Then you want to cook them a little just to give them a head start on the bacon. I pop mine in the microwave for a few minutes but you could parboil them just as easily. After they’ve had their initial cooking period, allow the potatoes to cool enough to handle and then proceed with the recipe.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap each fingerling potato in half a slice of bacon and place it seam side down on a parchment lined baking pan. Just make sure you put the seam end of the bacon underneath and it will sear itself together during the first few minutes of cooking. Sprinkle the prepared potatoes lightly with salt and pepper.
Cook in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is browned, crispy and cooked through.
Remove from the oven and cool.
To make the dipping sauce, combine sour cream, half and half, chopped chives, horseradish, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Potatoes wrapped in bacon and roasted served with a creamy dipping sauce.
- 12 fingerling potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- 1 tblsp. half-and-half or cream
- 1 tblsp. finely chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Arrange the potatoes on a microwave safe plate.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes or until the potatoes just begin to yield slightly when pressed.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bacon slices in half crosswise.
- Wrap each potato with half a slice of bacon.
- Place wrapped potatoes with the bacon seam side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Serve with roasted potatoes.
Note: the dipping sauce is also great on baked potatoes.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Some products used in this post:
The links above are associated with my affiliate account at Amazon.com. Never Enough Thyme receives a few cents on the dollar if readers purchase the items I recommend, so thanks for supporting my blog when you shop at Amazon!
Other potato appetizer recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:
- Baked Potato Skins from Taste of Home
- Yum Sugar’s Mini Twice Baked Potato Recipe
- Potato Bites from My Baking Addiction
What I was cooking…