Black Bean and Ham Soup is a hearty recipe packed full of fiber from black beans and brown rice and flavored with delicious cubes of tender ham.
I have to admit that Fall is not my favorite time of year. It always seems that I’m in the minority on that, but for me Fall just means that winter is right around the corner. And I despise winter.
I get cold around the end of November and don’t warm up again until sometime in March. Just miserable. The only thing that makes it more bearable is the multitude of different soups and stews that are perfect for cooler weather.
Like this delicious Black Bean and Ham Soup I’m sharing with you today. This soup is so full of nutrition! The beans and brown rice add lots of fiber and the ham gives it that great deep flavor that only ham can impart.
It all comes together in just a few minutes and then needs only a short time to simmer before you’re ready to serve. Cornbread goes especially well with this soup. Just sayin’.
How to Make Black Bean and Ham Soup
To start, cube some ham and brown it in the bottom of a large soup pot.
Then you’ll literally just dump in everything else. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. That’s all there is to it. Delicious, hot, homemade soup in a flash!
🧾 More Recipes You’ll Like
- Classic Tuscan Minestrone
- Italian Sausage, White Bean, and Spinach Soup
- English Onion Soup
- Asian Inspired Turkey Noodle Bowl
- Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- Lemon, Honey, and Ginger Soother
Have you tried this recipe? I’d really appreciate you giving it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card or in the comments section.
AND REMEMBER TO SIGN UP FOR MY FACEBOOK GROUP.
If you’d like to hang out with me and lots of other online Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure to join my FREE PRIVATE Facebook group.
Black Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed ham cut in about 1/2” dice
- 5 cups water
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes with their juice (2 cans)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube crushed (recommended: Maggi brand)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Accent optional
- Diced red onion for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot over medium high heat. Cook the cubed ham until it just begins to brown. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of finely diced red onion or shallots.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.