This Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is a perfect family dinner on a cool Fall evening. Best served with a side of buttered biscuits!
A while back I was contacted by General Mills about creating an entree that would be great for serving with their frozen buttermilk biscuits, and I knew right away that it should be a stew. Definitely a chicken stew. I just can't think of anything more welcome during the fall season than warm biscuits and stew.
I also wanted it to be really easy to put together and a recipe that the whole family would enjoy. And that's how this Slow Cooker Chicken Stew came to be.
You can prep all the ingredients for this stew in just a few minutes. Then pop everything into your slow cooker, set it and forget it. When you arrive home from work or a day running errands, this hearty chicken stew will be waiting for you. All you need to do is cook up a few buttermilk biscuits and dinner is ready.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Start by cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then sprinkle it with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss it in a little flour and brown the pieces in a skillet. Transfer the chicken to your slow cooker.
Prepare the vegetables. Peel the carrots and wash the potatoes and celery. Cut everything into pieces about the same size as the chicken. Do the same with the onion. Roughly chop the parsley. Add all the veggies into the slow cooker.
In a small bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, water, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
Serve with a side of biscuits!
More Stew Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Brunswick Stew
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Pork Stew
- Seafood Stew
- Irish Stew
- Mexican Beef Stew
- Oxtail Stew
- Oyster Stew
- Garlicky Beef Stew
- Sunday Beef Stew
- Beef Stew in the Pressure Cooker
chicken stew recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Mediterranean Chicken Stew with Cinnamon Couscous from The Kitchn
- Katie's Chicken Curry Stew from $5 Dinners
- Autumn Chicken Stew from Gimme Some Oven
- 5 Twists on Comforting Chicken Stew from foodiecrush
- Chicken Stew with Beer from Healthy and Gourmet
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tblsp. flour
- 2 tblsp. oil
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 soup can water
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces (roughly 3/4”). Sprinkle with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Toss the seasoned chicken pieces with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chicken, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan, and cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker.
- Cut the potatoes and celery into roughly 3/4” inch pieces and add to the cooker. Peel the carrots and cut them into similarly sized pieces. Do the same with the onion. Roughly chop the parsley and add it into the slow cooker with all the vegetables and the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup with water, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour over chicken and vegetables in the cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve with a side of biscuits.
- I like to use Yukon gold potatoes. Their skin is so tender that no peeling is necessary.
- Substitute fresh herbs for dried. Dried herbs are more potent, so when using fresh, use about three times more than dried.
- Boneless, skinless thighs also work very well in this recipe. Use whatever you have on hand!
- This recipe easily doubles to accommodate larger families.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 823Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 1034mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 57g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritonix and may not always be perfectly accurate. Use your own judgment.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter |
-- This post originally sponsored by General Mills