Spanish Rice and Chicken Soup – a lovely version of chicken soup flavored with garlic, cilantro, tomatoes, and taco seasoning.
Does anybody else remember the ABC show The Taste? BeeBop and I used to love watching that show! This recipe actually came about as the result of an episode on “guilty pleasures.” It was so interesting to see how differently the contestants interpreted that theme!
Their dishes ranged from greasy pork belly burger sliders to fried chicken with macaroni and cheese to a healthy spring roll. The sliders and fried chicken I got. The spring roll, not so much. Not much guilt in that one.
I kept pulling for somebody…anybody…to make banana pudding! By the way, the greasy sliders and fried chicken won :-) Guilty pleasures indeed.
Guilty Food Pleasures
I will readily admit to having guilty food pleasures. Though I don’t really feel guilty about them at all. They’re things that I don’t eat often but when I do, I thoroughly enjoy them.
Most of them are “trashy” processed things, the number one among my pleasures being Lays’ barbecue potato chips. Don’t let me open a bag of those things because I cannot promise that I won’t finish it off right then and there.
Another guilty pleasure? You might not believe this – Rice-a-Roni Spanish Rice mix. It’s just another one of those can’t-stop-eating-it things for me. And it’s the inspiration for this Spanish Rice and Chicken Soup.
Spanish Rice Mix is my Weakness
Trust me, I don’t buy the Spanish rice mix often. I dare not keep it in my pantry because we’d be eating it three times a week if I did. But every once in a while I start craving those flavors – tender rice, tomatoes, and rich seasonings.
When that craving struck recently, I decided to try combining all that deliciousness in a soup and this recipe was the result. It’s a bit more healthy – no preservatives and far less salt – but still has all the flavors I love in one pot. Hope you enjoy it!
I’d love for you to leave me a comment on this post telling me about your guiltiest food pleasures! I just might find something new to crave :-)
How to Make Spanish Rice and Chicken Soup
Place a deep saucepan or soup pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the oil and butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and celery. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until the onion has wilted, taking care not to let it brown. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
Add the tomatoes and cilantro. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes while you stir and break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Or, if you’re impatient like me, use a potato masher to make quick work of it!
Add the rice, taco seasoning, and cilantro. Stir well. Add the chicken broth, chicken, salt, and pepper.
(Just a note here – I make my own taco seasoning that I keep in a tightly sealed jar in the pantry. I just spoon out what I need whenever I need it. You can use a purchased taco seasoning or just use chili powder with a bit of oregano and cumin thrown in. Maybe I should post the taco seasoning recipe sometime, huh?)
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is done. Serve topped with additional cilantro.
More Soup Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Tomato-Tarragon Soup
- Sausage and Kale Soup
- Peas and Greens Soup
- Black Bean and Ham Soup
- Creole Beef and Okra Soup
Chicken Soup Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Tidy Mom
- Italian Chicken Soup from The Pioneer Woman
- Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup from Steamy Kitchen
- Rotisserie Chicken Rice Soup from Tori Avey
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup from Two Peas and Their Pod
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 14.5 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes with their juice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tblsp. taco seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Place a deep saucepan or soup pot over medium high heat. Add the oil and butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion has wilted. Take care not to brown the onion.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cilantro. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes while stirring and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon.
- Add the rice, taco seasoning, and cilantro. Stir well. Add the chicken broth, chicken, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Serve topped with additional cilantro.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 2770mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 21g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: