Lentil and Sausage Gumbo Soup - Lentils take the place of a second protein in this deliciously flavored soup based on traditional Louisiana-style gumbo.
Gumbo soup? Isn't that redundant?
Well, there's a reason and I want to get to it right up front. Because I know that my Gulf Coast friends (yes, I'm looking at you Drick) would flip out if I called this recipe a "gumbo" and there's no roux in sight. See, a real gumbo starts with the making of roux, a combination of flour and fat cooked to a specific dark or light color depending on the recipe.
So, instead of proclaiming that this is gumbo, I chose to call it gumbo-soup. It's definitely influenced by gumbo with its use of the trinity - onion, celery, and bell pepper - along with red pepper flakes, Tabasco, and Worcestershire, but it's not quite as thick owing to the lack of the roux. Okay - everybody happy now?
What makes this gumbo soup so different is that it contains lentils! I'm using lentils in place of the second protein, often chicken, that you'd usually find in gumbo. Did you realize that lentils are one of the most nutritious foods in the world? They have loads of protein, they're low in fat and high in fiber. I've also read that they are helpful in reducing cholesterol and beneficial for controlling diabetes. Good gracious, is there anything lentils can't do?
Hope you enjoy this delicious and healthy Lentil and Sausage Gumbo Soup!
How to Make Lentil and Sausage Gumbo Soup
I used Hurst's Garlic and Herb Lentils to make this batch of delicious gumbo soup. They're very convenient with loads of flavor provided for you in the seasoning packet.
Just rinse the lentils under cold running water. Then, believe it or not, all you do is add everything into a big slow cooker, set it on high, and let it go for about four hours. That's it!
Just a note or two for you - be sure to use a good smoked sausage in this recipe. I chose a hickory smoked sausage from Conecuh, but you go with whatever you like. It does need to be smoked, though, and not a kielbasa or something like that. The smoky flavor is really important to the finished recipe.
Also, for the okra, I recommend just grabbing a bag of frozen, sliced okra at the grocery store. It's just as good as fresh and a big time saver.
The spices can be adjusted to suit your tastes. If you like more red pepper flakes or more Tabasco - go for it! I tend to go light on the fiery stuff and offer more at the table for others to add to their serving.
And, finally - cornbread makes a mighty fine accompaniment to this soup. Yum.
You May Also Like ...
Have you tried this recipe? I'd love for you to give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card and/or in the comments section further down.
You can always stay in touch on social media by following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest and Sign Up to Get my Newsletter, too!
Lentil and Sausage Gumbo Soup
- 15.5 ounces garlic and herb flavored lentils recommend: Hurst's brand
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut in 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- ½ bunch fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Filé powder optional
- Rinse the lentils under running water.
- Combine the lentils, seasoning packet, and all remaining ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for four hours or until lentils are tender.
- Serve individual portions in soup bowls.
- Pass filé powder for use as desired.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
More Lentil Recipes ...
- Italian Lentil Soup with Sausage from Hurst's Beans
- Lentil Soup with Sausage, Chard, and Garlic from Smitten Kitchen
- Vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup with Tomatoes, Spinach, and Feta from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Smashed Lentils with Egg from The Kitchn
- Lentil Salad with Roasted Red Peppers, Parsley, and Almonds from Bev Cooks
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Bacon from The Lemon Bowl