Black and White Bean Soup - Black and navy beans combined in a beefy, tomato broth for a substantial dinner soup.
If it's snowing or just plain cold where you are today, I've got a great Black and White Bean Soup recipe to warm you up. As you know, beans are low in saturated fat and sodium, and very low in cholesterol and a very good source of both protein and fiber.
They're also budget friendly. More so if you used the dried type, but honestly I rarely think far enough ahead to soak beans in advance. The canned ones work fine for me.
A few days ago when it was dark and rainy and dreary, I started out to make some sort of bean soup and this is what I wound up with. A can of white beans, a can of black beans, some tomatoes and seasonings and we had a gorgeous pot of Black and White Bean Soup. Give this one a try. I think you'll really enjoy it.
This recipe is so simple that you don't even need the step-by-step photos I usually post. Here's all you need to do:
How to Make Black and White Bean Soup
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute about 4 or 5 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes, beans, beef broth, parsley, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
I served some simple cheese toast with this, but a nice crusty loaf of French bread or garlic bread would be great. Heck, just some saltine crackers would work for me!
More Soup Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Leek and Potato Soup
- Tomato and Roasted Garlic Soup
- Italian Sausage, White Bean, and Spinach Soup
- Creole Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Mushroom Soup
bean soup recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup from Budget Bytes
- Easy Tuscan Bean Soup from Simply Recipes
- Healthy Chicken White Bean Soup from A Spicy Perspective
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup from Buns in my Oven
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Black & White Bean Soup
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 14 ½ ounce cans diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 can navy or cannellini beans drained
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 14 ½ ounce can beef broth
- 2 tblsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ tsp. dried basil or 1 tblsp. chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and saute 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes, beans, beef broth, parsley, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.