Crispy Roasted Potatoes

by Lana Stuart on May 27, 2011 · 41 comments

Crispy Roasted Potatoes

I’ve wanted to make this Crispy Roasted Potato recipe ever since I first set eyes on it at Teri Lynn Fisher’s Fish Food blog. I think it was that beautiful photo more than anything, although we do like potatoes around here.

BeeBop, being the meat and potatoes guy that he is, declared it a huge success. I mean really. Who wouldn’t love crispy potatoes flavored with butter, shallots and a touch of lemon thyme? The lemon thyme was my only deviation from the recipe. I have lemon thyme growing like wild fire in my herb bed right now so I used it instead of the normal thyme. I love the flavor it adds to lots of recipes. So good.

Well, maybe that wasn’t the only change I made. I added a teeny little bit of extra butter and oil. Don’t judge.

You’ll start off by melting your butter and adding the olive oil. Generously brush the bottom of your baking dish with the mixture. I chose to make this in my 10-inch cast iron skillet. You could use a gratin dish or any shallow 9 or 10-inch baking dish.

The only negative to this recipe – you’re going to need to peel four pounds of potatoes. Now I’ve said it before and I mean it that I have to really love you to peel a potato for you. It’s one of those kitchen chores that I try to avoid whenever I can, but I think it makes for a much nicer finished recipe here. But once that bit of drudgery is out of the way, it’s easy-peasy from there on out.

Crispy Roasted Potatoes assembly

If you have a mandoline and are not terrified of using it (that would be me), you can cut your potatoes on it. Otherwise, use a sharp knife to cut each potato crosswise into thin slices. Try to keep the slices together as you go and as you finish each potato, place it intact into the pan.

Adding shallots to Crispy Roasted Potatoes

Once you have all the potatoes snuggled nicely in place, peel and slice the shallots. Wedge the shallot slices randomly in between the sliced potatoes.

Add butter, salt and pepper to Crispy Roasted Potatoes

The final step is to brush on the rest of that lovely butter and olive oil mixture and season generously with salt and pepper. Then pop the pan into your 375 degree oven for an hour and 15 minutes. Go do whatever you want to, no stirring and no pot watching required! After the time is up, remove the pan from the oven, artistically strew the the top of the potatoes with the thyme sprigs and return it to the oven to cook for an additional 35 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown on top and cooked through.

Add a little more fresh thyme right before serving if you like. And then…

Crispy Roasted Potatoes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes

Yield: 6 servings

Crispy Roasted Potatoes

Russet potatoes roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, shallots and thyme.

• 4 tblsp butter, melted
  • 4 tblsp olive oil
  • 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
  • 4 shallots, thickly sliced
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 8 sprigs lemon thyme (more for garnish)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine the melted butter and olive oil in a small bowl.
  3. Generously brush the bottom of a 9-10 inch baking dish with the butter and oil mixture. Set aside the remainder for now.
  4. Peel the potatoes; slice each potato very thinly using a sharp knife or mandoline, keeping the potato intact as you proceed.
  5. Place the potatoes vertically in the prepared baking pan.
  6. Peel the shallots and slice them lengthwise.
  7. Wedge the slices of shallot randomly between the potatoes slices.
  8. Brush with remaining butter and oil.
  9. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
  10. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  11. Remove pan from oven and add the thyme sprigs.
  12. Return to the oven and bake an additional 35 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and top is brown and crispy.
  13. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional lemon thyme for garnish.
  14. Notes: Original recipe from Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/284903/crispy-potato-roast; Also inspired by Fish Food http://fishfoodblog.com/2010/04/crispy-potato-roast/

Other roasted potato recipes you might enjoy from around the internet:

1 Katrina May 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm

That looks so good. I remember stumbling those somewhere a couple months ago and have thought about it a number of times since.

2 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I saw a really gorgeous photo of this dish on the Fish Food blog and couldn’t stop thinking about it until I cooked it. It’s definitely a keeper.

3 Valerie (Love through the stomach...) May 27, 2011 at 3:09 pm

They look absolutely delish! I’m not that fond of peeling potatoes myself, but these look like they just might be worth it!

4 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Valerie – It’s a very rare occasion that I peel potatoes but it was so worth it for this dish.

5 Alison @ ingredients, Inc. May 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm

These look SO good!

6 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thanks, Alison!

7 Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook May 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

These look wonderful. I will be that you could use red skin potatoes or Yukon Golds which don’t need to be peeled. That would make these a snap to make for you! I love lemon thyme too. Thanks for sharing!

8 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Yukon Golds are a great idea for this, Jane. I just might try them next time I cook this. Thanks.

9 Olive May 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Suddenly my broccoli dinner seems so very shabby! ;-)

10 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Oh, no, nothing shabby about broccoli, Olive!

11 Rachael May 28, 2011 at 2:34 am

That looks sooooooo good! I’m going to a grill party tonight and will make it to share with everyone. :)

Oh, and thank you so very much for letting me know that I’m not the only one terrified of my mandoline. *blush*

12 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’m scared to death of that mandoline, Rachael! I’ve cut myself so badly so many times on just the microplane graters that I’m afraid to even look at the mandoline. Hope it turns out great for your grill party! Let me know.

13 Drick May 28, 2011 at 8:25 am

oh yeah, BeeBop and me know a good thing… gonna make this this weekend, sounds and looks just perfect Lana… thanks

14 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’ll tell you this, Drick. These potatoes were so good that I ate the leftovers right by themselves for lunch the next day. The were actually even better the second time around.

15 Kristen May 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Oh my goodness, Lana. That looks amazing. What a great way to make potatoes!

16 Lana May 28, 2011 at 5:30 pm

We really enjoyed it, Kristen. I’d bet your beautiful little ones would like them, too :-)

17 Cookin' Canuck May 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

This is fantastic, Lana! Really, what a wonderful presentation for the potatoes and it looks as though they browned perfectly.

18 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:41 am

Thank you, Dara. I love to use my cast-iron skillets whenever I can. This could as easily be made in a pretty gratin dish.

19 claudia lamascolo/aka pegasuslegend May 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Lana these came out perfect and the flavors for roasting are my favorite! I have to try these !!!

20 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hope you enjoy them, Claudia!

21 jen May 30, 2011 at 12:19 am

Great pic! I’ve made this with sweet potatoes and it still comes out great! The tops are crispy and the bottoms are sorta velvety and gratin-ed. Great recipe!

22 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:42 am

Oh, sweet potatoes would be really interesting, Jen! I would probably use a little brown sugar on them.

23 Katherine May 30, 2011 at 4:45 am

These look so good! Gorgeous photos. I love potatoes prepared in any which way and these are just crying out to me. Also, I just bought some lemon thyme by mistake! I didn’t realize until I tasted it and noticed the citrusy undertones.

24 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:44 am

I really liked the little bit of lemon flavor in the background with these. I might even squeeze a little lemon juice on them, too.

25 michelle in wgtn, nz May 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

Ooo, these looks good – floury potatoes sliced thin and then roasted with shallots, butter and olive oil seems a dream dish. And then you added my favourite herb – lemon thyme!

We will soon hit winter down-under here in New Zealand,which is an ideal time for this absolutely must make dish for me – I’ll just scale the quantities back to suit a hungry one (me), and feel secure knowing that I wont have to share this dish with my beloved rescue cat as he is strictly carnivore!

Do enjoy your lemon thyme – it is equally as delicious with sweet dishes as it is with savoury. Sending care and huggles, Michelle and my happily snoozling Zebby Cat.

26 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thanks, Michelle. I always forget about the difference in seasons from Northern to Southern hemisphere. Hope you enjoy this recipe as you settle for a chilly fall down under.

27 Feast on the Cheap May 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

These look so gorgeous, I love the presentation

28 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:47 am

Thanks so much! I thought they looked pretty nice, too.

29 Susan Mallery May 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm

That’s amazing, Lana! I wouldn’t have thought the potatoes would get crispy when packed in there so tightly. I’m going to have to try this one!

30 Lana May 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

Susan, they get crispy all around the outside edges, but the inside stays nice and soft. They’re so very good.

31 Susan Mallery May 31, 2011 at 2:14 pm

They sound terrific. I’m going to have to tweet this recipe!

32 La Phemme Phoodie June 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Hello to my fellow canning buddy! I definitely remember stumbling this but forgot to go back and look through my account to pull up the recipe. I make brunch a lot. My family would love this dish instead of my normal roasted potato dish. Beautiful presentation.

33 Alysa (InspiredRD) July 31, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am always at a loss when we get a bag of potatoes from our co-op. This recipe looks perfect! I am making it tonight as a side for my mom’s birthday meal :)

34 Lynette November 8, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love making these, i also add sliced garlic into the mix with the shallots it brings a new edge to the flavour

35 Northwest Herbivore April 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I just found this on Pinterest and can’t wait to try it. It seems like the perfect job for my apple machine–peeling and slicing in one shot, and not nearly as scary as a mandoline.

36 Claire August 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

crispy potatoes are the best potatoes. hands down.

37 Lana August 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Thanks, Claire. I think so, too!

38 Scott Thompson January 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Helpful hint boil potatos in skin then remove one at a time and drop into a bucket of ice cold water (heaps of ice) leave for 5 seconds then remove and twist/pull from either end and the skin comes straight off. Not worth it if only peeling 1 or 2 potatoes but more then 5 is totally worth it. Youtube it for a how to video. Cheers for the recipe.

39 Lana January 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for the hint, Scott.

40 Barbara January 23, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I have gold potatoes in the oven, didn’t peel them and used the mandoline…. quick and so easy! I can’t wait to taste them, I may have to add some cheese on the top for the last few minutes….. yummy!