This Hash Brown Casserole is the centerpiece of a hearty breakfast. Full of shredded potatoes and cheese!
I’ve told y’all before how much of a meat and potatoes guy BeeBop is. I do believe that man would be happy if I just put a slab of protein and a big serving of starch in front of him three times a day.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Not at all. I enjoy the meat and potatoes, too. And sometimes it’s just what you need to get you through a long day. Take, for instance, the first time I made this Hash Brown Casserole.
We were having an old wooden retaining wall at the front of our house replaced. It was a railway tie wall that had been there for over fifteen years. That’s about the useful life of those kinds of walls. Over the years it had also been the breakfast, lunch and dinner of a colony of carpenter ants. Needless to say, the wall was past due for replacement.
We decided to have a beautiful stone wall installed in its place. However, in the estimate for the work there was an expensive charge for demolition and removal of the old wall.
Well, of course, BeeBop saw no reason that he couldn’t handle the demolition and save that money! So with an assist from his brother, Uncle J, the old wall came down.
I clearly remember them working on that project all of one Saturday. In the rain. And the mud. It was nasty, hard, physical labor. The least I could do was cook for them!
So, I made a big breakfast for the two of them before they got to work and this casserole was the hit of the menu. Along with some eggs and bacon, it kept them going well into the lunch hour.
How to Make Hash brown Casserole
I’ve made this casserole with freshly grated potatoes, but it truly turns out better with the ready-to-cook shredded potatoes like the Simply Potatoes brand (note: I received no compensation from Simply Potatoes for this post, I just happen to like their products).
All you do is combine the potatoes, scallions, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, melted butter, salt, pepper, and cheese in a very large mixing bowl. Then use your hands to gently combine everything being careful not to break the potatoes any more than necessary.
Coat a 9×13 casserole dish or baking pan with cooking spray. Transfer the mixture to the pan, spreading it in evenly. Cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top is golden brown.
Makes about 10 servings.
More Hearty Breakfast Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits with Tomatoes
- Creamed Mushrooms with Poached Eggs
- Hash Brown Omelet Skillets
- Shrimp and Grits
- Huevos and Grits, Y’all
hash brown recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Hash Brown, Broccoli, Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole from Diethood
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken Hash Brown Casserole from Cookies and Cups
- Hash Brown, Broccoli, Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole from Julia’s Album
- Cheese and Bacon Hash Brown Muffins from Recipe Tin Eats
- Crispy Jalapenos Hash Brown Casserole from She Wears Many Hats
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 2 lbs. ready-to-cook, shredded potatoes (recommended brand: Simply Potatoes)
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 8 oz. (2 cups) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the baking dish spreading it evenly.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and the top of the casserole is nicely browned.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 269 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 713mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: