Homemade Croutons - don't spend your money on bags of croutons - make your own! Perfect for everything from soup to salad.
We're going back to the basics today! I may get my official food bloggers card revoked for posting such a simple recipe, but occasionally I really enjoy revisiting the kitchen basics. When I'm doing my weekly shopping, I sometimes have to stop myself from making a routine purchase of items that would be just as easily made at home.
Take croutons for instance. They're one of the most basic of basic recipes, very economical and the homemade ones taste far better, too!
If you enjoy nicely seasoned, crispy croutons on your salad or on top of a hot bowl of soup, you'll appreciate the simplicity of making them yourself. And if you've been purchasing them at the grocery store...well, after you make your own just once you'll never purchase them again. Promise.
All you need to make a batch of perfectly seasoned, crispy Homemade Croutons of your own are some stale bread, a few seasonings and a little oil.
How to Make Homemade Croutons
Cut the bread into cubes about 1" square. I used a day-old loaf of French bread, but you could any type of bread you happen to have. Even sandwich bread if you must.
Add a little salt and pepper, garlic powder, oregano, Parmesan and olive oil. Or use whatever seasonings you like. Depending on the ingredients in your salad or soup, you might like croutons with some basil or thyme. Or a different type of grated cheese. You could also substitute with a flavored oil. Adjust any or all of these to your personal taste!
Place the seasoned croutons on a baking tray in a single layer.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until the croutons are golden brown and crispy. Let them cool a bit and then serve!
More Bread Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bread
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread
- Brown Irish Soda Bread
- Cheesy Onion and Herb Bread
homemade crouton recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Homemade Croutons from Simply Recipes
- Easy Crunchy Garlic Croutons from Natasha's Kitchen
- The Kitchn's Zesty Croutons
- Roasted Garlic Croutons from Closet Cooking
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 small loaf of day-old French bread
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the bread into cubes about 1” square. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle olive oil over bread.
- Toss bread cubes until evenly coated with seasonings and oil. Place the seasoned bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until croutons are nicely golden brown. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.