Huevos and Grits, Y’all! is a combination of the best of southern breakfasts with a southwestern flair.
Those of us who really enjoy cooking find recipes in all sorts of places, don’t we? Cookbooks, magazines, newspapers, grocery store flyers, the internet. Sometimes they just come as inspiration out of nowhere.
I remember waking up one day a while ago with this one forming in my mind. I must have been really hungry.
At first glance you might not think you’d like this recipe, but give it a chance. It’s a combination of the best of southern breakfasts (fried eggs and cheese grits) with a southwestern flair (think…huevos rancheros). And I have no idea what to call it, so I just named it Huevos and Grits. Seemed appropriate.
Take it from me, this recipe is a total flavor explosion. One bite and your tastebuds will be doing a happy dance. And talk about substantial…these huevos will keep you going right through lunch all the way to dinner. By the way, BeeBop agreed that this dish is “the bomb.”
How to Make Huevos and Grits, Y’all!
Make the Cheese Grits
Start this recipe by making up a batch of my Cheese Grits. Just follow that link to get the recipe for the best and easiest cheese grits you can imagine. After you get that one, come back here and we’ll finish whipping up these huevos in no time.
Back already? Okay, let’s get going. This recipe is for two people. You can simply multiply the recipe for the number that you’re serving.
When the cheese grits are ready, start cooking the fried eggs. I’m sure most everyone knows how to cook an egg, but just in case, I’ll show you how I do it.
Fry the Eggs
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan.
After the butter has melted, tilt the pan to distribute the melted butter all over the surface. Carefully crack the eggs into the pan.
Cover the pan and cook until the egg whites have solidifed (2-3 minutes). If you like your eggs sunnyside up you can stop right here. If you like them done all the way through, flip each egg over and cook for another minute or so.
Assemble the Dish
To assemble your Huevos and Grits, place a ladle of cheese grits in the bottom of a small plate (I’m using a luncheon sized plate here) or shallow bowl. Add the fried eggs on top of the grits and spoon a couple of tablespoons of salsa or picante sauce over the eggs. (I put the jar of picante sauce in the microwave for about a minute since it had been in the refrigerator. I didn’t want it to cool down the eggs too much.)
Add some grated cheddar on top. Optionally, you could also toss on a little chopped cilantro.
Serve these Huevos and Grits up with some toast or warm tortillas and fresh fruit on the side.
More Breakfast Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Creamed Mushrooms with Poached Eggs
- Steak and Eggs
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits with Tomatoes
- Easy French Toast
More huevos recipes you might enjoy:
- Huevos Rancheros with Avocado Salsa Verde from Cookie and Kate
- Easy Tomatillo Huevos Rancheros from Skinnytaste
- Huevos Rancheros Scrambled from Flourishing Foodie
- Huevos Rancheros Tacos from Diethood
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
One recipe of Never Enough Thyme's Cheese Grits:
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- couple dashes garlic powder
- 2 1/2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
For the Huevos:
- 4 eggs
- 2 tblsp butter
- 4 tblsp salsa or picante sauce (your choice of mild or hot)
- 4 tblsp grated cheddar cheese
- Start by cooking the cheese grits. Follow my recipe in this post: https://www.lanascooking.com/cheese-grits/
- When the cheese grits are ready, start frying the eggs.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- After the butter has melted, tilt the pan to distribute the melted butter all over the surface.
- Carefully crack the eggs into the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook until the egg whites have solidifed (2-3 minutes).
- If you like your eggs sunnyside up you can stop right here.
- If you like them done all the way through, flip each egg over and cook for another minute or so.
- To assemble your Huevos and Grits, place a ladle of cheese grits in the bottom of a small plate or shallow bowl.
- Add the fried eggs on top of the grits and spoon a couple of tablespoons of salsa or picante sauce over the eggs.
- Add some grated cheddar on top.
- Optionally, you could also toss on a little chopped cilantro.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 752Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 32gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 510mgSodium: 2393mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 36g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: