Meyer Lemon Chicken – delicious pan-fried chicken dressed in a Meyer lemon and garlic sauce. Just as nice for weeknights as it is for a dinner party!
Hi there! Remember me? Yeah, I was afraid you’d all forgotten who I was having been so long since my last post. I took a little time off during Christmas to enjoy family and holidays and it was a wonderful break. But now I’m back and ready to get started with some great new posts starting right now!
If you remember, I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a beautiful little Meyer lemon tree that lives in my office. It was a birthday gift from one of my sisters and has been a lovely addition to the bay window that I look out of while I’m working on the computer.
That one little tree has graced us with dozens of lovely Meyer lemons this winter and I’ve had lots of fun using them in the kitchen. I usually think about them for sweet recipes, but last night I thought I’d give them a try with something savory. Good idea.
As usual, I just started looking around to see what I had on hand and what might work well with lemon. I had some chicken breasts I needed to use so that’s where I started. Added a little oregano and garlic and this Meyer Lemon Chicken recipe was born!
This is a nice blend of flavors and takes just a few minutes to prepare. Hope you enjoy it as much as BeeBop and I did.
In the written recipe, I’ve given measurements but you really don’t need them. Just use the amounts you think you need for the number of chicken breasts you’re cooking. I used three chicken breasts because that’s what I had on hand. You use whatever you have. Okay?
How to Make Meyer Lemon Chicken
To start, give the chicken breasts just a light pounding so that they’re an even thickness throughout. You don’t need to pound them out until they’re thin, just even.
Sprinkle both sides generously with salt, pepper and dried oregano. Don’t skimp on the seasonings!
Sprinkle flour over both sides of the chicken breasts, coating them completely but be sure to shake off the excess.
Heat the butter and oil in a heavy skillet. Add the breasts and cook until nicely browned on both sides.
While the chicken is cooking, thinly slice the Meyer lemons. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into thick slices. Or chop them. Whatever you prefer.
When the chicken is browned on both sides, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Add the lemon and garlic to the pan and stir well to combine them with the butter and oil.
Spread the lemon slices out evenly in the pan. Return the chicken to the pan placing it on top of the lemon slices. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook until the chicken is done throughout.
Serve the chicken breasts with cooked lemon slices and pan sauce.
Just a note – the lemon slices will, of course, have a slightly bitter taste from the peel. I love it. BeeBop doesn’t. If you don’t care for that bitter taste, just push the lemon slices aside and enjoy the pan sauce anyway!
More Chicken Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
Meyer Lemon Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Smitten Kitchen’s Meyer Lemon and Cranberry Scones
- Meyer Lemon Pizza with Rosemary and Thyme from Figs with Bri
- Anne Burrell’s Grilled Chicken with Dijon and Meyer Lemon on Food Network
- Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake from Floating Kitchen
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tblsp. butter
- 2 tblsp. canola oil
- 2 Meyer lemons
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 tblsp. chopped Italian parsley
- Lightly pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Sprinkle each side generously with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Sprinkle the flour over the chicken breasts, coating evenly. Shake to remove any excess flour.
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and oil.
- When the butter melts, add the chicken and cook until nicely browned on both sides.
- While the chicken is cooking, thinly slice the Meyer lemons.
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice them into thick pieces.
- When browned, remove the chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add the lemon slices and garlic, stirring to combine them with the butter and oil.
- Spread the lemon slices out evenly in the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan placing it on top of the lemon slices.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the chicken is done throughout.
- Serve chicken breasts with cooked lemon slices and pan sauce.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 122mg Sodium: 1316mg Carbohydrates: 23g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 41g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: