Lemon and Cherry Muffins – A lightly sweet muffin flavored with Meyer lemon and dried cherries great for snacks or for breakfast.
When I was planning last night’s dinner, I really wanted to include a little something sweet for dessert. But it had to be something not-too-sweet. You know?
I mean, really, after all those rich, sticky, ooey-gooey pecan and pumpkin pies we had at Thanksgiving, we just want something to counteract it all, don’t you? As usual, when I start planning a recipe, I look around for what I have on hand that needs to be used up. I knew I had a couple of partial packages of dried cherries in the pantry. Those are so good and not too sweet. I thought I could use those surely. But what else?
That’s when inspiration struck. Meyer lemon. Yes!
Lemon is one of my favorite flavors and always seems to lighten up a dessert. And I just happen to have a little Meyer lemon tree that lives in the bay window of my office and is loaded right now with ripe fruit.
So I decided to combine some Meyer lemon zest and juice with dried cherries and almonds in a light batter and these lovely little muffins were the result. I hope you’ll try them and enjoy them, too.
How to Make Lemon and Cherry Muffins
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Place paper liners in 18 muffin cups and set them aside for now.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, lemon zest and juice. Mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Try not to overmix. Gently stir in the cherries and almonds.
Fill muffin cups about ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Remove the muffin pans from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
You could dust these muffins with a little powdered sugar or make a little lemon glaze to drizzle over them. But, honestly, I don’t think they need anything except a nice cup of coffee or tea :-)
More Sweet Muffin Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
Lemon and Cherry Muffin Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Lemon Ginger Muffins from Simply Recipes
- Two Peas and Their Pod’s Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins
- My Baking Addiction’s Meyer Lemon Strawberry Muffins
- Sweet Cherry Muffins from Jane’s Sweets
- Black Cherry Sour Cream Muffins from Baking Bites
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place paper liners in 18 muffin cups. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, lemon zest and juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently mix in the cherries and almonds.
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pans from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in
your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 203 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: