Seems like I’ve been on a bit of a roll with breakfast recipes lately, doesn’t it? Since the last one for those little Hash Brown-Omelet Skillets went over so well, I thought I’d go ahead and share these Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes with you, too.
Sometimes I feel like a good savory dish in the morning, but sometimes I enjoy something with a little sweetness. Not too sweet, mind you, but just a light touch of sweetness like these pancakes.
Now these are not light, fluffy pancakes like you might be thinking of. They’re really substantial, hearty food.
Three of these keep me going until mid-afternoon. That’s because they’re just full of ingredients that are good for you like oatmeal, nuts, and whole wheat flour. Just drizzle on a little maple syrup, add a couple of slices of bacon to the plate, and you’ll have a real treat for breakfast.
The recipe that originally inspired these Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes came from a lovely vegetarian cookbook, Welcome to Claire’s, written by Claire Criscuolo. Claire’s recipes use organic, locally grown ingredients, dairy-free butter substitutes, and other things that I don’t normally have in my kitchen. I think that’s wonderful if that’s what you want to do, but y’all know it’s just not how I roll. So I adapted the recipe using readily available ingredients from my local grocery store. Claire might not approve, but dang these sure were good!These hearty Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes are packed full of whole grain oatmeal, blueberry, orange zest, and pecans. Click To Tweet
How to Make Oatmeal-Blueberry Pancakes
The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice and some zest, but I decided to use a few clementines I had on hand instead. It worked out so well! We loved the flavor it added to the pancakes.
So, start out by combining the oats, milk and orange juice in a large mixing bowl. Let it sit for 15 minutes until the oats soften.
Add the eggs and butter and beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cardamom. Stir together.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
Gently fold in the blueberries and pecans.
Heat a griddle pan over medium heat. If using an electric griddle, heat to about 275-300 degrees. Spray the griddle with cooking spray.
Pour the batter in ¼ cupfuls onto the heated griddle. These pancakes tend to run just a bit rather than making perfectly circular pancakes as you may be accustomed to. I rather like the odd shapes myself.
Cook until golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Garnish with additional blueberries and pecans if desired. Serve with warm syrup.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tblsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tblsp. turbinado sugar
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Cooking spray
- Syrup for serving
- In a bowl, combine the oats, milk and orange juice.
- Set aside for about 15 minutes until the oats soften.
- Add the eggs and butter and beat with a spoon until well combined.
- Add the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cardamom. Stir well to mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and pecans.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium heat and spray it with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter in 1/4 cupfuls onto the heated griddle.
- Cook until golden brown, about two minutes on each side.
- Serve with syrup.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post
Inspired by a recipe from Welcome to Claire's by Claire Criscuolo,
- Presto 07061 22-inch Electric Griddle With Removable Handles
- Welcome to Claire's: 35 Years of Recipes and Reflections from the Landmark Vegetarian Restaurant
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 700 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 132mg Sodium: 673mg Carbohydrates: 112g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 42g Protein: 15g
More Pancake Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
pancake recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Queen Elizabeth’s Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) from Simply Recipes
- Eclectic Recipes’ Bacon Strip Pancakes
- Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes from The Kitchn
- Brown Sugar Pancakes from Cookies and Cups
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes from Cookie and Kate