Old Fashioned Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze - Moist and cakey old-fashioned gingerbread scented with warm spices and topped with a sweet-tart lemon glaze.
The only good thing about cold weather at this time of the year is that it puts everyone in the Christmas spirit. All our tastiest cold weather recipes start making appearances. Soups, chilis, and stews. Hot cocoa. Mulled wine. And spicy, warm, fragrant Old Fashioned Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze.
The fragrance of gingerbread baking is just delightful as the cinnamon, cloves and ginger fill the house with holiday cheer. The spices used in gingerbread are truly ancient.
There have been volumes written about its origins and most experts feel sure it originated in the middle east. I think, considering the spices involved, that conclusion makes sense.
My gingerbread recipe is probably most similar to British gingerbreads. It's moist, cakey and very pungent from the molasses. The spices give it a warm feel in the mouth and the lemon glaze adds just the right amount of tart sweetness.
How to Make Old Fashioned Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Beat the margarine or butter at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating well. Add the molasses and egg and beat until well combined.
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
Add the flour and spice mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Pour the batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes. I use a skewer to make holes all over the gingerbread and then pour the warm lemon glaze over the top.
You Might Also Like ...
More Gingerbread Recipes Curated for You
- Gingerbread Biscotti from Simply Recipes
- Gramercy Tavern's Gingerbread from Smitten Kitchen
- Gingerbread Waffles from Annie's Eats
- Gingerbread Biscotti from She Wears Many Hats
- Whole Wheat Gingerbread Pancakes from Cookie and Kate
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread from Baking a Moment
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Old Fashioned Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze
For the Gingerbread:
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup hot water
- Cooking Spray
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Grated rind of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Make the Gingerbread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the margarine or butter at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating well. Add molasses and egg and beat well. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then pour Warm Lemon Glaze over gingerbread.
- Serve immediately.
For the Lemon Glaze:
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until warm.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
-- This post was originally published on December 6, 2010.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →