Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese - delicious roasted butternut squash tossed with pecans and blue cheese. Perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
Have you started planning your Thanksgiving menu yet? I've been thinking about it some lately and was looking for something a little out of the ordinary.
I like to change things up with a new recipe or two from year to year so I've been trying out a few new things. Like this butternut squash recipe. It's definitely a keeper and it's going on the menu for this year.
This is simply roasted butternut squash tossed with pecans and blue cheese. Easy, quick, and full of flavor! My official taste tester, otherwise known as BeeBop, and I both agreed that it was one of the best ways we've found to enjoy butternut squash.
How to Make Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese
Start by preparing the squash. BeeBop always has to help me with this step. Cutting that squash in half takes some muscle! Once you have it in manageable pieces, scoop out all the seeds and the "goo" and peel the squash. For me, it's easiest to use a vegetable peeler for that task. And a grapefruit spoon makes cleaning the seed cavity very easy.
After you've cleaned and peeled the squash, cut it into about 1" cubes. Put the cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle over the thyme leaves. Toss it well so that all the cubes are coated with olive oil.
Roast the squash in a 425 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until it's tender and just lightly golden brown.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the squash cool for a few minutes.
Toss the baked squash with the pecans and blue cheese. Add some additional fresh thyme leaves if desired.
More Great Side Dish Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Squash and Cornbread Casserole
- Baked Acorn Squash
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Home Fries
- Roasted Asparagus
Butternut Squash Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup from Elena's Pantry
- Sweet and Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash from Inspired Taste
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Mac 'n Cheese from Brown Eyed Baker
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese
- 1 medium butternut squash about 4.5 pounds
- 3 tblsp. olive oil
- 6-8 stems of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Halve or quarter the squash and scoop out the seeds. Peel and then cut the squash into 1” cubes.
- Put the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with thyme leaves. Toss so that all the squash is coated with oil.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly. Toss with pecans and blue cheese. Add additional fresh thyme leaves if desired.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →