A one pot pasta dinner – just dump everything in one pot and 10 minutes later, dinner!
Have you seen those One Pot Pasta Dinner recipes on the internet? I mostly see them passed around on Facebook. There are lots of different variations and I always wondered whether they really worked because, really, it sorta seems a little too good to be true doesn’t it?
I mean can you really just dump all your ingredients in a pot, bring it to a boil, and 10 minutes later have a pasta dinner all ready to serve?
Well, I was having trouble believing it would work so I decided to experiment. If you’ve ever wondered about those recipes, think of it as a public service from me to you. You’re welcome.
I really did dump everything into one big pot and cooked it for about 10 minutes or until almost all the water was absorbed. Here’s what I decided – 1) the onion still tasted just the tiniest bit raw – maybe that’s because I normally saute the onion in olive oil for my pasta sauce – and 2) the finished dish had a starchy mouthfeel. I’m sure the starchiness is a result of not having an opportunity to drain off the pasta cooking water. It’s all still right there in the pot.
Having said that, however, it wasn’t too bad! It would definitely work for a night when I’m just too tired to think about what else to cook or when I’m in a huge rush to get dinner on the table. It definitely won’t take the place of my usual freshly made tomato sauce, though :-)
If you want to give this one-pot method a try, here’s my recipe. There are also quite a few more linked at the bottom of the post. Let me know what you think!
How to Make One Pot Pasta Dinner
Put all ingredients except the olives and about 1/4 of the fresh basil in a large pot. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Near the end of cooking, stir in the olives and the remaining basil. Continue cooking just until the olives are heated through.
Taste and adjust for salt if needed. Serve topped with Parmesan.
More Pasta Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Summertime Pasta Salad
- Pasta d’Arrabiata
- Pasta with Sausage and Leeks
- Creamy Shrimp and Pasta
- Pasta Puttanesca
- Pork Chops and Pasta
One Pot Pasta Dinners from Other Bloggers:
- One-Pan Pasta from Lottie + Doof
- One Pot Zucchini Mushroom Pasta from Damn Delicious
- One Pot Sausage and Mushroom Pasta from Budget Bytes
- Amazing One Pot Pasta (Tomato Basil) from Chew Out Loud
- One Pot Farmer’s Market Pasta from The View From Great Island
Pin to Your Pinterest Pasta Board!
- 12 oz. pasta (spaghetti, linguini, penne, fusilli)
- 15 oz. can whole Roma tomatoes with their juice
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 10-12 large basil leaves, julienned
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water or white wine
- 2 tblsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped Kalamata olives
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Put all ingredients except the olives and about 1/4 of the fresh basil in a large pot.
- Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Near the end of cooking, stir in the olives and the remaining basil. Continue cooking just until the olives are heated through.
- Taste and adjust for salt if needed.
- Serve topped with Parmesan.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
- Cuisinart 77-412 Chef's Classic Stainless 4-Piece 12-Quart Pasta/Steamer Set
- Cuisinart CTG-08-SPS Stainless Steel Pasta Server
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 449 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 1443mg Carbohydrates: 67g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 14g Protein: 11g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: