Pasta with Sausage and Leeks is a fantastic pasta main dish! Just add a salad and some warm garlic bread for a complete meal.
We’ve been on a bit of an Italian kick around here lately. Although most Italian recipes I cook use tomato-based sauces, this one has not a tomato in sight anywhere. The combination of leeks, sausage and Parmesan made a fantastic dish! BeeBop had seconds.
The original version of this recipe came from an old issue of Fine Cooking magazine. I, of course, tweaked that old recipe to put my own touch on it and I think it turned out really great. I also think you could also sneak some tomatoes into the sauce and it wouldn’t suffer any, either :-)
How to Make Pasta with Sausage and Leeks
Let’s Go Step-by-Step
I always like to show you the photos and step-by-step instructions for my recipes to help you picture how to make them in your own kitchen. If you just want to print out a copy, you can skip to the bottom of the post where you’ll find the recipe card.
Cook the Pasta
Put a large pot of generously salted water on to boil and cook the pasta while you prepare the sauce. I used campanelle but any short-cut pasta would work.
I just like the way the campanelle looks. It looks something like a lily, one of my favorite flowers.
Make the Sauce
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Cook the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon or potato masher, until it’s golden in color; about 5 minutes.
Speaking of breaking up Italian sausage…you know the way ground beef crumbles so nicely and easily when you cook it? Well, Italian sausage does not cooperate in any way, shape, or fashion like that. But I want my sausage crumbled, so I just get in there with a potato masher and take care of it.
Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until soft; about 8 minutes. If you’d like substitute onion for the leeks, that works just as well. Leeks can be a bit difficult to clean, I know.
Stir in the shallot and cook for 1 minute. The original recipe called for that little bit of shallot and, honestly, I can’t tell that it made a bit of difference. So, if you want to skip it altogether go right ahead.
Add 1 tblsp of butter, the peas, and broth. Heat to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and keep the sauce warm until the pasta is ready.
Cook the pasta until al dente; about 12 minutes. Drain and return to the pot over low heat.
Combine the Sauce and Pasta
Add the sausage and leek sauce to the pasta and toss well. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the grated Parmesan. Toss again.
Transfer to a serving platter or individual bowls. Serve immediately with more grated Parmesan on the side.
🧾 More Recipes You’ll Like
- Pasta with Tomato Basil Sauce
- Baked Spaghetti
- Pasta d’Arrabiata
- Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad with Tomatoes and Grapes
Have you tried this recipe? I’d really appreciate you giving it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card or in the comments section.
AND REMEMBER TO SIGN UP FOR MY FACEBOOK GROUP.
If you’d like to hang out with me and lots of other online Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure to join my FREE PRIVATE Facebook group.
Pasta with Sausage and Leeks
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces Italian sausage casings removed
- 2 large leeks trimmed, light green and white parts cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup frozen young peas defrosted and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Black pepper
- 1 pound campanelle or other short-cut pasta
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese; more for serving if you like
- Put a large pot of generously salted water on to boil. Cook pasta while preparing sauce.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage, breaking it up, until golden in color; about 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until soft; about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the shallot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 tblsp of butter, the peas, and broth. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover skillet and keep warm until pasta is ready.
- Cook the pasta until al dente; about 12 minutes. Drain and return to the pot over low heat.
- Add the sausage and leek sauce to pasta and toss well.
- Remove from heat and add remaining 1 tblsp butter and the grated Parmesan. Toss well.
- Transfer to a serving platter or individual bowls. Serve immediately with more grated Parmesan on the side.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.