A decadent chocolate cookie that bakes up shiny and crackly on the outside and soft in the center.
These Outrageous Chocolate Cookies were originally a Martha Stewart recipe that I came across years ago. I’ve made these cookies so many times and they always get great comments, especially from chocolate lovers. And why not – they’re chocolate through and through. It’s a chocolate dough packed full of chocolate chunks. They’re soft and chewy with a slight crunch on the outside. Kind of a cross between a brownie and a cookie and so good with a glass of milk!
I made these for BeeBop to take to his office for Valentine’s Day a few years ago and I didn’t eat a single one. I thought he might bring a few back home. Nope. Not one left.
How to Make Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter and chocolate
Heat the chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until almost melted; do not overheat.
Here’s what it looks like after 40 seconds —
And here’s what it looks like after 5 20-second increments–
There should be some small chunks of chocolate left. They will melt from the residual heat. Don’t overheat the chocolate!
Mix the dry ingredients
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy.
Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate.
Combine wet and dry ingredients
Mix in flour mixture until just combined.
Add the chocolate chunks. Stir well to combine.
Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets.
Bake, rotating sheets halfway through until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers. 12 to 15 minutes.
Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This makes 2 dozen (or 18 if you drop them by big heaping tablespoons like I do).
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped (or use semisweet chips and you won’t have to chop the chocolate)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 12-oz package semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until almost melted; do not overheat.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate.
- Mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chunks. Stir well to combine.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers. 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 237 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 120mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 25g Protein: 3g
More Chocolate Recipes on Never Enough Thyme
- Chocolate Meringue Pie
- Chocolate-Chocolate Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Scones
Chocolate Cookie Recipes from Other Bloggers
- Hot Cocoa Cookies from Taste and Tell
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from Fifteen Spatulas
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies from Add A Pinch