Outrageous Chocolate Cookies – decadent chocolate cookies that bake up shiny and crackly on the outside and soft in the center.
These Outrageous Chocolate Cookies were originally a Martha Stewart recipe that I came across years ago. I’ve made these cookies so many times and they always get great comments, especially from chocolate lovers. And why not – they’re chocolate through and through. It’s a chocolate dough packed full of chocolate chunks. They’re soft and chewy with a slight crunch on the outside. Kind of a cross between a brownie and a cookie and so good with a glass of milk!
I made these for BeeBop to take to his office for Valentine’s Day a few years ago and I didn’t eat a single one. I thought he might bring a few back home. Nope. Not one left.
How to Make Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the Butter and Chocolate
Heat the chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until almost melted; do not overheat.
Here’s what it looks like after 40 seconds —
And here’s what it looks like after 5 20-second increments–
There should be some small chunks of chocolate left. They will melt from the residual heat. Don’t overheat the chocolate!
Mix the Dry Ingredients
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy.
Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate.
Combine wet and dry ingredients
Mix in flour mixture until just combined.
Add the chocolate chunks. Stir well to combine.
Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets.
Bake, rotating sheets halfway through until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers. 12 to 15 minutes.
Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This makes 2 dozen (or 18 if you drop them by big heaping tablespoons like I do).
🧾 More Recipes You’ll Like
- Blondies with Chocolate Chips and Cherries
- Turtle Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Almond Joy Cookies
- Chocolate Raspberry Bar Cookies
- Graham Cookie Bars
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
I’d LOVE to know what you thought!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know how you liked it!
WE’RE ON FACEBOOK, TOO!
If you’d like to hang out with lots of other Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure to join my FREE PRIVATE Facebook group.
Outrageous Chocolate Cookies
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate roughly chopped (or use semisweet chips and you won’t have to chop the chocolate)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until almost melted; do not overheat.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate.
- Mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chunks. Stir well to combine.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers. 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.