These Sausage Swirls use purchased crescent roll dough spread with mustard and sausage to make a fantastic appetizer for any occasion.
I'm back today with one last recipe for your Super Bowl spread. Just in case you haven't finished your menu, you know. Not all of us plan weeks in advance. I'm just sayin'. And if you're down to the last minute and need one more treat, this is a great one. It's simple. Guys, girls and kids all love it and you probably have everything you need to make it in your fridge right now.
These little Sausage Swirls use three simple ingredients. Crescent rolls (yes, the whack-a-can kind), mustard and bulk pork sausage. You can also lighten these up very nicely by using the reduced fat rolls (they're just as good as the regular) and a turkey sausage.
How to Make Sausage Swirls
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
Separate the crescent dough into four long rectangles. I was working with just two at a time in the photos.
Spread each of the rectangles with your choice of mustard. I have made these with both a spicy brown mustard and a very grainy mustard. I prefer the grainy type but you use whatever you want.
Then gently spread the sausage on top of the mustard. It's much easier to spread if you let the sausage sit out at room temperature for 30-45 minutes beforehand.
Now, roll each of the rectangles up lengthwise into a long cylinder. At this point, you can chill them covered until you're ready to serve. Or if you have hungry folks standing in the kitchen waiting for these, go ahead and cut them into about 1 to 1 ½" pieces. Stand each piece up on its end and flatten it gently into a small disk.
Place the swirls on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Serve with additional mustard to spread on each swirl. I sometimes make a dipping sauce with 4 parts mayonnaise, 1 part grainy or spicy brown mustard and a squirt of lemon juice.
More Appetizer Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Sausage-Pineapple Rollups
- Sausage Balls with Two Dipping Sauces
- Caraway Cheese Spread
- Hot Artichoke Spread
- Cheese Fondue
- French Country Terrine
Sausage Appetizers from Other Bloggers:
- Plain Chicken's Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Smoked Sausage Appetizers from Taste of Home
- Italian Sausage Bites from My Man's Belly
- Sausage Lovers' Dip from Jimmy Dean Sausage Company
- Sausage-Cheddar Bites from Brown Eyed Baker
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- Grainy or brown spicy mustard
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Separate crescent rolls into four long rectangles. Press perforations well to seal.
- Spread each rectangle lightly with mustard.
- Divide sausage into four equal parts and spread a thin layer on each rectangle.
- Roll each rectangle into a long cylinder.
- Chill, covered, until ready to serve.
- Slice the rolls into 1” pieces.
- Gently flatten each slice into a small disk.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.