Vintage recipe for Hot Artichoke Spread – A hot dip made with chopped artichoke hearts and Parmesan cheese.
We’re going old-style today. This Hot Artichoke Spread recipe is from my “vintage” files and one that I used to make regularly for entertaining friends in the 1980’s.
It went over quite well with the big hair, shoulder pads, and white zin of the time. And, do you know what? It still goes over well today. Why? Because it’s delicious, that’s why.
Now I will concede that it’s very rich and I’m scared to even try to figure out how many calories are in that little baking dish, but you don’t serve this every day. And if you can’t have an occasional indulgence, then it’s hardly worth eating well the rest of the time, is it?
How to Make Hot Artichoke Spread
To start this recipe, you’ll drain and chop a can of artichoke hearts. They do need to be very well drained so what I do is chop them and then spread them out on a triple thickness of paper towels. Place another thickness of paper towels on top of the chopped artichoke hearts and press down gently to remove as much moisture as possible. Don’t skip this step or the spread will be watery.
Now put the chopped artichoke hearts and all the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix everything together.
Turn the mixture into a lightly greased baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top begins to brown and it’s bubbly around the edges. By the way, the green boxed Parmesan is fine for this recipe. You don’t need to invest in expensive Parmesan cheese here.
Serve this delicious spread with crackers or melba toast. Enjoy!
More Dip Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
Hot Dip Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Noble Pig’s Hot Ricotta Dip
- Hot Corn and Cheese Dip from Brown Eyed Baker
- Hot Crab Dip from Simply Recipes
- Baked Santa Fe Dip from Better Homes and Gardens
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tblsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain the artichokes and chop into about 1/2 inch pieces. Drain the chopped artichokes again by placing them on several layers of paper towels.
- Add the drained, chopped artichokes to a medium bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Turn into a small baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool briefly. Garnish with additional green onions, if desired. Serve with crackers or melba toasts.
This spread is best made with regular mayonnaise. Inexpensive boxed Parmesan works well here.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 89 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 183mg Carbohydrates: 3g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: