Use a purchased rotisserie chicken to make prep of this delicious Southwest Chicken Casserole quick and easy.
I ask you – is there anything more versatile than a casserole? There are casseroles that are main dishes, side dishes, salads, and even desserts. I really can’t think of many ingredients you can’t put in a casserole. I’ve probably made more casseroles in my kitchen than anything else. Ever. I’ve made them from scratch and from leftovers. From chicken, beef, fish, vegetables, fruit….heck, even cobblers are a kind of casserole if you think about it.
The best thing about main dish casseroles is that they’re pretty much a complete meal right by themselves. You might serve some bread on the side or a salad, but most of the time that’s not even necessary.
This Southwest Chicken Casserole is a favorite of ours. I make it easy by using a purchased rotisserie chicken, but you can cook your own if you prefer. I layer the chicken with a mixture of tomatoes, chilies, onions, soups, cheese, and tortilla chips. The lime flavored chips add a lot of extra flavor to this casserole and I recommend you use them.
You can assemble this recipe in a few minutes and let it cook while you do other things. Serve with a simple salad and dinner is all done!
How to Make Southwest Chicken Casserole
Remove the skin and bones from the rotisserie chicken. Shred the meat and discard the skin and bones.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté an additional 3-4 minutes.
Combine the sauteed veggies with the broth, soups, tomatoes, chilies, oregano, and chili powder.
If you can get Hatch chilis for this, or any other recipe, I highly recommend using them. They just have some undefinable quality that makes them so superior in taste to other chilis. Luckily, I can get them in my grocery store in these very convenient little cans. Hopefully, you can find some, too.
Lightly grease a 13×9 baking dish. Layer half the shredded chicken and half the soup mixture. Top with half the tortilla chips and half of the cheese. Repeat layer.
Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly. Remove foil during the last 10 minute of cooking.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
More Casserole Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
chicken casserole recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole from Cookies and Cups
- One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole from Recipe Tin Eats
- Salsa Chicken Casserole from Budget Bytes
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole from Gimme Some Oven
- Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice Casserole from Iowa Girl Eats
Pin to Your Pinterest Casserole Board!
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 tblsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans mild green chilies
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. lime flavored tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- Remove skin and bones from rotisserie chicken. Shred the meat and discard the skin and bones.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté an additional 3-4 minutes. Stir in broth, soups, tomatoes, chilies, oregano, and chili powder.
- Lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish. Layer half the shredded chicken and half the soup mixture. Top with half the tortilla chips and half of the cheese. Repeat layer.
- Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly. Remove foil during the last 10 minute of cooking.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 360 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 87mg Sodium: 924mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 22g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: