I found this recipe for Bistro Chicken on the Kraft Foods web site a while back and since I happened to have some chicken breasts on hand I thought I’d give it a try. It turned out to be a keeper! It was simple and quick to put together and uses ingredients that most of us have on hand.
The combination of chicken, bacon and cheese reminded me a lot of the Alice Springs Chicken entree at Outback Steakhouse. I served it over a mound of mashed potatoes, but it would also be great with noodles.
Give this one a try. I think you’ll like it!
2 tsp oil
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
¼ cup Zesty Italian dressing
1 tbsp. tomato paste
4 small boneless chicken breasts
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
This recipe is so simple that you won’t even need any step-by-step photos to follow!
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Add the mushrooms (I didn’t have any fresh, so I used a can of sliced mushrooms) and onions. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.
Add the chicken breasts. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat 12 minutes or until chicken is done. Top each chicken breast with cheese and bacon. You can cook up a couple of slices of bacon in the microwave or you could substitute about a 1/4 cup of bacon bits if you have those. Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
–Recipe from Kraft Foods (www.kraftfoods.com)
A wonderful family meal with the flavors of chicken, bacon, tomatoes, and cheese!
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- ¼ cup Zesty Italian dressing
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions.
- Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.
- Add chicken.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low heat 12 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Top with cheese and bacon.
- Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.