I found this recipe for Bistro Chicken on the Kraft Foods web site a while back and since I happened to have some chicken breasts on hand I thought I’d give it a try. It turned out to be a keeper! It was simple and quick to put together and uses ingredients that most of us have on hand.
The combination of chicken, bacon and cheese reminded me a lot of the Alice Springs Chicken entree at Outback Steakhouse. I served it over a mound of mashed potatoes, but it would also be great with noodles.
Give this one a try. I think you’ll like it!
This recipe is so simple that you won’t even need any step-by-step photos to follow!
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Add the mushrooms (I didn’t have any fresh, so I used a can of sliced mushrooms) and onions. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.
Add the chicken breasts. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat 12 minutes or until chicken is done. Top each chicken breast with cheese and bacon. You can cook up a couple of slices of bacon in the microwave or you could substitute about a 1/4 cup of bacon bits if you have those. Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
–Recipe from Kraft Foods (www.kraftfoods.com)
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- ¼ cup Zesty Italian dressing
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions.
- Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.
- Add chicken.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low heat 12 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Top with cheese and bacon.
- Simmer, uncovered an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.