Chicken thighs. With bacon. And potatoes. Roasted. Enough said.
But seriously, doesn’t bacon make most anything better? Crispy, salty bacon has to be one of the most perfect tastes in the world. I’ve often said that I believe bacon must be what they greet you with when you arrive in Heaven. And you can eat all you want without gaining an ounce.
This recipe is one that is quick to throw together and pop in the oven while you’re doing other things around the house. It all cooks together without any stirring or whisking or standing over the stove – a real bonus for busy days. And the measures given, well, they’re just guidelines. For instance, I didn’t have all one kind of potato when I made this. I had a handful of little red ones and few baking potatoes but I cut them up and threw them all in together. Worked out great. And the herbs and spices can be changed or adjusted however you like. Don’t like rosemary? No problem! Either leave it out or substitute something else. Oregano and a squeeze of lemon juice would be fantastic in this. Maybe you have a few cherry tomatoes you need to use up. Just toss those in, too! This is very, very versatile.
Just toss your potatoes, onions, garlic and herbs together in a roasting pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle a little olive oil over everything.
Then put the chicken thighs on top, cut the bacon slices in half and place them over the thighs. Pop the pan in the oven and let it cook for 50-60 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
This dish goes really well with a side of green beans.
Chicken thighs topped with bacon and roasted atop a bed of potatoes and onions.
- 2-3 pounds potatoes
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tblsp chopped chives
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 4-5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tblsp. Olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skin-on bone-in
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes well and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place the potatoes, onions and garlic in a 9x13 roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with the chopped chives, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the rosemary sprigs among the potatoes and onions.
- Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Place the chicken thighs, skin sides up, on top of the potatoes and onions.
- Cut the bacon slices in half and place two halves on top of each chicken thigh.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is done throughout.