Celebrating with Creative Culinary – Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail

by Lana Stuart on September 14, 2012 · 23 comments

Scarlett O'Hara Cocktail from @NevrEnoughThyme

One of the best things about being a food blogger is being part of the food blogging community. It’s a community full of supportive, helpful people who are always willing to lend an ear and are unfailingly encouraging. One of the most encouraging and one whom I met early in my blogging experience was Barbara from Creative Culinary. Barbara and I originally connected through Twitter, exchanging comments and bouncing ideas off each other eventually becoming not just blogging buddies, but also good friends.

Barb’s food blog was actually one of the first on the internet and started as a simple archival site where she stored her personal recipes. Over the years it grew and was refined with beautiful photography and more and more delicious recipes.

One year ago, Barb added a Friday cocktail feature to her blog and that’s what we’re celebrating today. Her cocktail recipes are always interesting with fascinating background and history on the cocktails she presents. She also often suggests perfectly paired hors d’oeuvres for her cocktails. Her weekly feature has been very well received even spawning a copycat site or two.

So today, a whole bunch of us food bloggers are posting cocktails to celebrate Barb’s one-whole-year of Friday cocktails! Now, I have to admit that BeeBop and I are not really cocktail drinkers. It’s pretty rare for us to mix up a cocktail. As a matter of fact, I could probably count on one hand the number of times we’ve made cocktails in our nearly 25 years of being married. Nevertheless, I still knew exactly what I wanted to do for Barb’s celebration. I mean, really, what could be more appropriate for a Southern food blogger to post than a Scarlett O’Hara?

A Scarlett O’Hara is a mix of Southern Comfort liqueur, cranberry juice, and lime juice. Mix one up and lift a glass to Barb! Congrats, girl!

Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail

Rating: 41

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 serving

Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail

A cocktail with Southern Comfort, cranberry juice, and lime.

• 2 oz. Southern Comfort liqueur
  • 1 lime wedge
  • 4-6 oz. cranberry juice

1. Pour Southern Comfort into a cocktail glass and squeeze in the lime juice. Fill with crushed ice. Pour over the cranberry juice. Stir and serve.

Visit Creative Culinary today for dozens of fantastic cocktail recipes!

What I was up to:

1 Paula September 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

Love the colour of this cocktail and the name! I’m not a big cocktail drinker myself but I do think I could handle a glass of this. Have a great weekend.

2 Jamie September 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

Oh any cocktail with cranberry juice has my name written all over it! And what a pretty drink! Cheers! So many of us gather around Barb in this foodie community! I love the friends I have made!

3 Nancy@acommunaltable September 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Gorgeous!!! And I agree, I can’t think of a more appropriate cocktail for you to feature!!
Couldn’t agree with you more about the food blog community – I just wish I could meet you all IRL… I’m thinking a Cocktail Conference for Bloggers…..

4 Lana September 15, 2012 at 5:03 pm

There are so many blogging friends I’d love to meet, too, Nancy! I think we should petition Barb to organize a conference so we can all get together.

5 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm

So pretty! And I definitely need a glass of these, especially during work hours!

6 Cookin' Canuck September 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Gorgeous photo, Lana, and a very tempting cocktail. I would expect nothing less than a wonderful southern cocktail from you! :)

7 Lana September 15, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Why, thank you, ma’am.

8 Barbara | Creative Culinary September 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm

What can I say but aw…thanks my sweet friend. This has been an unmistakably warm and fuzzy day with so many friends celebrating with me; could not have, no WOULD not have done it without you! Thanks a bunch!

9 sippitysup September 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This on seems so well suited to you too. GREG

10 Kim - Liv Life September 15, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I know what you mean! Frequently in my conversations I will reference something a “friend” has said, and the person I’m talking to will ask how do I know them and I will say, “Oh! They are one of my blog friends!”
My world has grown by leaps and bounds since I started my blog and I feel like I’m in touch with people all over the world.
And a wonderful post you had to celebrate the cocktail Friday! I saw your photo on Tasteologie, and it simply leaped off the page… beautiful in every way.

11 Lana September 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Getting to know other folks with similar interests is one of the best parts of being a blogger, isn’t it? Thanks for the kind words about the photo. I’m still learning!

12 Julia September 16, 2012 at 2:01 am

I love the community aspect of blogging too. This cocktail looks so refreshing. I think I want to participate in your Friday cocktail event, too. Is it open to other bloggers?

13 Lana September 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hi Julia – this event was to celebrate another blogger’s success posting a cocktail every Friday. You can find her blog at http://www.creative-culinary.com

14 icakepops September 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This lovely cocktail wouldn’t get a chance to sit around looking pretty . . . It would be Gone with the Wind! ;)

15 Sues September 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oooh what a perfect cocktail to relax with after work. And I love that it’s named from Gone with the Wind!

16 Jeanne March 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm

One question. Is the cranberry juice supposed to be 100% cranberry or is it cranberry juice cocktail? Thanks!

17 Lana March 7, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Jeanne – it’s just cranberry juice.

18 Jeanne March 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Thanks! I’m trying it for a party this weekend. A friend is moving down south.

19 Erin December 21, 2013 at 11:35 am

They cocktail looks yummy – and what a fantastic use of light for yourphoto! I love those glasses! Where did you find them?

20 Lana Stuart December 21, 2013 at 11:49 am

Thanks Erin. Those glasses were a wedding gift about 25 years ago!

21 Erin December 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm

At least that explains why I like them so much! Is there a hallmark or manufacturer stamp? Or maybe you remember where they came from? :)

22 Lana Stuart December 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Erin – there are no markings on them at all. All I know is that they were purchased from a small, local gift shop back then.

23 Erin December 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm