Old Fashioned Bread Pudding with raisins. A warm, comforting ending to any meal on cold fall and winter evenings.
Is it crazy around your house right now? Are the holidays screaming toward you and your unfinished shopping list, decorating list, gift wrapping list, cooking list, and candy making list? Yeah, me too.
I have at least 235 unfinished tasks to complete before December 25, so what did I do? I just went right into the kitchen and made a bread pudding. Yep. Sure did.
Because you see, that's what I do when I'm stressed. I cook. And since this time of year is the most stressful, it calls for the most comforting recipes in your arsenal.
When BeeBop and I took a 10-day trip to Ireland last year, one of the best things we had to eat on that trip was their Bread and Butter Pudding. Of course, they have all that wonderfully rich cream and butter over there that we can't get here. It makes all the difference, let me tell you. But this recipe is pretty close.
If you need a break from Christmas preparations, just make yourself a bread pudding and a cup of hot cocoa. Then put your feet up and treat yourself.
How to Make Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
Preheat oven to 350. Butter or spray an 8x8 baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix the bread cubes and raisins. Set aside. I used a bunch of bread crusts that I had cut off when making sandwiches for a party a few months ago. Threw them right in the freezer and nearly forgot them, but I knew they'd come in handy sometime.
In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
Pour the wet mixture over the bread cubes and raisins. Stir well.
Pour into prepared baking pan. Dot the top with butter. Don't be afraid of the butter. It really adds a richness to the bread pudding.
Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with whipped cream.
More Old Fashioned Dessert Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Slow Cooker Bread Pudding
- Tapioca Pudding
- Egg Custard Pie
- The Real Deal Banana Pudding
- Banana Nut Bread
Bread Pudding Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Easy Bread Pudding from Spend with Pennies
- Apple Pie Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce from Oh Sweet Basil
- Blackberry Bread Pudding from A Spicy Perspective
- Pressure Cooker Raspberry Orange Bread Pudding from Pressure Cooking Today
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
- 2 cups bread cubes
- ⅓ cup seedless raisins
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tblsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter or spray an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread cubes and raisins. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes and raisins. Stir well. Pour into prepared baking pan. Dot top with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.