Slow Cooker Bread Pudding made with day-old French bread, flavored with milk, butter, and cinnamon and studded with plump, juicy raisins.
I always think dessert is the exclamation point on a nice dinner. It enhances the meal and just puts the finishing touch on an evening for me. This Slow Cooker Bread Pudding is made with day-old French bread, plump, juicy raisins, and a delicious custard of milk, butter, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. It'll rock your world.
Food historians say that bread pudding can be traced back to the early 11th and 12th centuries. Not surprisingly, it started as a way for frugal cooks to use up leftover bread.
And what a great way to use a stale loaf of bread! Cut it up, toss it with a rich, eggy custard, and bake it low and slow until it becomes a warm, velvety pudding. Yummy.
I like mine with a dollop of whipped cream. You might enjoy a scoop of ice cream. Either way, you're gonna love it!
How to Make Slow Cooker Bread Pudding
Generously coat the inside of a small slow cooker with either butter or non-stick spray. Cut the bread into approximately 1-inch cubes.
Place the cubed bread and raisins in the slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until very well combined.
Pour the liquid mixture over the bread cubes and raisins. Toss so that everything is evenly coated.
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes and toss again to make sure the custard mixture is evenly distributed.
Cover and cook on low setting 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. You'll want to check at about 2 hours to see how it's doing. Some slow cookers cook hotter than others. Those things just don't have any specific temperature settings. Low on one may be totally different from the low setting on another.
Serve warm with a drizzle of cream, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Leftovers reheat very nicely.
More Dessert Recipes from Never Enough Thyme
- Lemon Lime Cake
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze
- Caramel Layer Cake
- Banana Split Icebox Cake
- Pavlova with Lemon Curd and Fresh Berries
Bread Pudding Recipes from Other Bloggers
- Grandma's Bread Pudding from Live Well Bake Often
- Easy Bread Pudding from Spend with Pennies
- Raisin Bread Pudding from Very Best Baking
- Apple Pie Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce from Oh Sweet Basil
- Pecan Pie Bread Pudding from Call Me PMc
Pin to Your Pinterest Dessert Board!
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes day-old French bread
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cane sugar (or white)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Butter (or spray) inside of slow cooker.
- Place bread and raisins in slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, eggs, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
- Pour over bread and raisins. Toss to coat evenly.
- Let stand 10 minutes and toss again to make sure custard mixture is evenly distributed.
- Cover and cook on low setting 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of cream, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 405mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritonix and may not always be perfectly accurate. Use your own judgment.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter |