Easy and flavorful, this Cilantro Lime Shrimp is a quick saute of shrimp in a cilantro-lime-tomato sauce with all the flavors of Mexico.
I don’t know what happened to me last Sunday. I suddenly got this huge burst of energy and all I wanted to do was cook! Right after noon I got started and by the end of the day I had cooked and photographed five recipes.
When supper time came around I was still going strong in the kitchen but had to start thinking about getting something ready for our dinner.
I really wanted something with shrimp and tex-mex flavors so I just started gathering up anything that I thought might go well together. The end result was this really tasty Cilantro Lime Shrimp.
This was just enough for the two of us for Sunday night supper. Even better with the garlic toast along side to soak up all the delicious juices.
And did I mention it’s really quick to make? In less than 30 minutes we sat down at the table and shared this beautiful shrimp right out of the skillet!
How To Make Cilantro Lime Shrimp:
I started out by chopping a couple of cloves of garlic, a medium onion and a fresh jalapeno that I ran outside and cut from the garden. My jalapenos are a little ahead of my cubanelles and way ahead of my bell peppers!
Next you’ll need to grab a heavy skillet, heat it over medium-high heat and add the butter and olive oil. Of course, I used a black cast-iron. I just love the way they heat up and hold the heat steady.
When the butter and oil are melted, add in the garlic, onion and jalapeno. Cook those together, stirring, for a few minutes until the onion begins to wilt.
Next, add the red pepper flakes and oregano. Continue cooking until the onions are translucent.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook, stirring again, until they’re nicely wilted. Once they’ve cooked down add the shrimp. Cook and stir until the shrimp are just done.
It shouldn’t take more than 4 or 5 minutes. Watch them carefully since shrimp cook so quickly.
When the shrimp have turned opaque, add the salt, pepper and juice and zest of a lime. Stir together for a few seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
This recipe served two hungry folks for dinner :-) As they say “your mileage may vary.” Be sure to have some garlic bread or garlic toast to soak up all those delicious juices.
More Shrimp Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Oven Fried Shrimp Po’Boy
- Winter Shrimp Salad
- Gazpacho and Garlic Shrimp with Cheese Toasts
- Shrimp and Grits
- Shrimp Creole
cilantro lime shrimp recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp Skewers from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp from Gimme Some Oven
- Linguini with Shrimp and Cilantro-Lime Pesto from Erin’s Food Files
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, split and deveined
- 2 tblsp. chopped cilantro
- Melt the butter and oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and jalapeno.
- Cook, stirring until the onion begins to wilt, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and oregano.
- Continue cooking until the onion becomes translucent, approximately 3 additional minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the shrimp, zest and lime juice, salt and black pepper.
- Cook until the shrimp are just opaque. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 488 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 494mg Sodium: 2855mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 19g Protein: 54g
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make! if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post: