The very essence of summer! A light, refreshing, and healthy Tomato and Avocado Salad. Ready for the table in just 10 minutes.
There's about to be a glut of something around here. That would be tomatoes. And I couldn't be happier! A fresh tomato picked at the peak of ripeness and eaten still warm from the sun's rays...why that's just about as close to perfection as you can get.
I've always grown tomatoes. Even in the years when I didn't plant much of a garden, I always had tomatoes.
However, in the place where we live now, it has become almost impossible to grow anything at all because of the deer and squirrel population. If the deer don't eat it, the squirrels do. Even all the little apples off our tree.
Have you ever seen a squirrel try to wrestle an apple down a tree without dropping it? After you get over your fury at the squirrel for mutilating your crop (once again), it can be downright hilarious.
Here's this teeny little squirrel with a huge mouthful of apple trying to maneuver the very limber limbs of an apple tree. It's nearly as entertaining as when BeeBop puts oil on the bird feeder post so they can't climb up it.
Enjoy Fresh Tomatoes While You Can
Of course, one of my most favorite ways to enjoy fresh, ripe garden tomatoes is in a tomato sandwich. I love the simple, classic one consisting of two slices of soft, white bread spread thickly with good mayonnaise, topped with slices of juicy tomato, and lots of salt and pepper. Hold over the sink and eat it while the juice drips down your arm. Yum. Summer.
When you get tired of tomato sandwiches (What! As if!), here's another idea for those beauties. A Tomato and Avocado Salad with onion and cilantro dressed simply with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. It's almost as yummy as a tomato sandwich!
How to Make Tomato and Avocado Salad
Arrange the sliced tomatoes, avocado, and onion on a platter. Scatter the cilantro over the top.
Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
More Tomato Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Roasted Tomato Sandwich
- Tomatoes Provencal
- Tomato-Zucchini Tian
- Tomato, Feta, and Olive Salad
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad with Tomatoes and Grapes
tomato salad recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Tomato Salad with Soy Sauce from Simply Recipes
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad from Natasha's Kitchen
- Middle Eastern Tomato Salad (Salad Shirazi) from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Blueberry and Tomato Salad from Leite's Culinaria
- Peach and Heirloom Tomato Salad from White on Rice Couple
- Caprese Salad with a Twist from Creative Culinary
Pin to Your Pinterest Salad Board!
Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 1/4 medium white onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tblsp. fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes, avocado, and onion on a platter.
- Scatter the cilantro over the top.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #nevrenoughthyme or tag @nevrenoughthyme so I can see and share what you make!
if you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →