Italian Sausage and Roasted Pepper Sandwich – a mix of roasted cubanelle, bell peppers, onions, and garlic combine with sweet Italian sausage on a ciabatta roll for a delightful sandwich.
Gardening has always been such a great pleasure for me. Planting those little seedlings in the Spring with high hopes for a bountiful crop. Some years it works out and some years…well.
This year the tomatoes just fizzled before they ever really got started. We grew some monster tomato vines but the temperatures didn’t cooperate with them setting fruit. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.
Even though the tomatoes weren’t anything to brag about, the herb garden and peppers are going strong. This year I planted a few different varieties of pepper that I hadn’t grown before including a cubanelle.
The cubanelle is a lovely pepper. Sweet and mild with its own unique flavor.
So, when those cubanelles all started getting ready at once, I needed to figure out some really tasty way to use them. After some research, I settled on roasting them and pairing them with Italian sausage in one delicious sandwich. Really hope you enjoy this one!
How to Make an Italian Sausage and roasted pepper sandwich
The measurements for this are not precise just like most of my cooking without a recipe. You’ll want 4 or 5 nice, large cubanelle peppers, a couple of green or red bell peppers, 5 or 6 cloves of garlic, a large sweet onion and a handful of thyme.
Cut the peppers, slice the onion and peel the garlic.
Put it all on a baking sheet and drizzle it with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss a few thyme springs on top.
Cook for about 25-35 minutes or until the veggies are tender and just beginning to turn a little brown. Like in the photo.
In the meantime, cook the Italian sausage. Spray a skillet lightly with cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning frequently, until browned and cooked through.
While the sausages are cooking, prepare the ciabatta rolls according to the package directions.To assemble the sandwiches, split each roll in half and cut the sausages on a diagonal. Add a generous amount of roasted veggies to the bottom of each roll and top with sliced Italian sausage.
Note: We enjoyed these sandwiches with just the roasted veggies and sausage. They would also be great with a little oil and vinegar dressing added to the cut sides of the rolls.
- 4-5 Cubanelle peppers
- 1-2 green bell peppers
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1-2 tblsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3-4 links sweet Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- Ciabatta rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut up the peppers and slice the onion. Peel the garlic.
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, toss the veggies and oil together so that everything is coated well.
- Toss a few thyme sprigs on top.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until peppers and onions are wilted and just beginning to brown.
- In the meantime, cook the Italian sausage.
- Spray a skillet lightly with cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausages and cook, turning frequently, until browned and cooked through.
- While the sausage is cooking, prepare the ciabatta rolls according to the package directions.
- To assemble the sandwiches, split each roll in half. Cut the sausages on a diagonal. Add a generous amount of roasted veggies to the bottom of each roll and top with sliced Italian sausage.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 657 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 50mg Sodium: 1329mg Carbohydrates: 66g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 23g Protein: 36g
More Italian Sausage Recipes from Never Enough Thyme:
- Italian Sausage with Roasted Peppers and Onions
- Pasta with Italian Sausage and Tomatoes
- Italian Sausage and White Beans
- Italian Sausage Alfredo