A vintage Lemon Lime Cake made with a boxed cake mix combined with jello for a quick and easy citrusy dessert.
So, by now you must know how much I enjoy vintage recipes, right? Oh, I like learning about new ingredients, techniques, and cuisines, of course.
Exploring new ideas in the kitchen is fun! But vintage recipes? Those just take me right back in time. Some of my favorite old recipes come from the era when "convenience" foods were being introduced.
Boxed and frozen ingredients were a huge boon to home cooks back in the day. When these products arrived in the grocery stores, suddenly busy cooks were able to get a meal on the table with record speed making a huge difference in people's everyday lives.
One of the most beloved of the mid-century convenience products is probably the boxed cake mix. Available in every variety under the sun, these mixes were a huge value to those who weren't particularly great bakers.
Inventive cooks took those mixes and created all kinds of goodness with them. Like this Lemon Lime Cake.
I know you've seen this one before. I'm guessing it originated in the 1970's, maybe? Really easy and quick. And really, really delicious.
How to Make Lemon Lime Cake:
Preheat the oven according to the baking instructions on the cake mix. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside. Combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, and jello in mixer bowl. Mix according to the cake mix’s package instructions. Pour into prepared pan and bake according to the cake mix instructions. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the zest, juice, and sugar. Mix well. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Enjoy!
More Cake Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Chocolate-Chocolate Cake
- Caramel Layer Cake
- Banana Split Icebox Cake
- Honey Bun Cake
Cake Mix Recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Streusel Cake from Eat at Home
- Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars from Picky Palate
- Chess Squares from Kevin and Amanda
- Pina Colada Poke Cake from Kitchen Meets Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake from Life, Love and Sugar
- Cake Mix Orange Sweet Rolls from No. 2 Pencil
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
Lemon Lime Cake
- 1 lemon cake mix recommend: Duncan Hines
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- .3 oz package lime Jello
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tblsp. fresh lime juice
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven according to the baking instructions on the cake mix. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs, and jello in mixer bowl. Mix according to the cake mix’s package instructions.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake according to the cake mix instructions.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add zest, juice, and sugar. Mix well.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →