Rate This Recipe:
A vintage Lemon Lime Cake made with a boxed cake mix combined with jello for a quick and easy citrusy dessert.
So, by now you must know how much I enjoy vintage recipes, right? Oh, I like learning about new ingredients, techniques, and cuisines, of course.
Exploring new ideas in the kitchen is fun! But vintage recipes? Those just take me right back in time. Some of my favorite old recipes come from the era when “convenience” foods were being introduced.
Boxed and frozen ingredients were a huge boon to home cooks back in the day. When these products arrived in the grocery stores, suddenly busy cooks were able to get a meal on the table with record speed making a huge difference in people’s everyday lives.
One of the most beloved of the mid-century convenience products is probably the boxed cake mix. Available in every variety under the sun, these mixes were a huge value to those who weren’t particularly great bakers.
Inventive cooks took those mixes and created all kinds of goodness with them. Like this Lemon Lime Cake.
I know you’ve seen this one before. I’m guessing it originated in the 1970’s, maybe? Really easy and quick. And really, really delicious.
How to Make Lemon Lime Cake
Preheat the oven according to the baking instructions on the cake mix. Grease a 9×13 pan and set it aside.
Combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, and jello in the bowl of a stand mixer or beat with a hand mixer in a mixing bowl. Mix for the time stated in the cake mix’s instructions.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake according to the time stated in the cake mix instructions.
Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
Turn the cake out onto a platter or tray. Beat the cream cheese and butter until they’re light and fluffy. Add the zest, juice, and sugar and mix well.
Frost the top and sides of the cake.
I added a little lime zest and a few slices of lime for decoration!
More Recipes You May Like
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Honey Bun Cake
- Chocolate-Chocolate Cake
- Caramel Layer Cake
- Banana Split Icebox Cake
Lemon Lime Cake
- 15.25 ounces lemon cake mix recommend: Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- .3 ounces lime Jello
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven according to the baking instructions on the cake mix. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs, and jello in mixer bowl. Mix according to the cake mix’s package instructions.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake according to the cake mix instructions.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add zest, juice, and sugar. Mix well.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.