Potato Spinach and Tomato Gratin – a delicious, cheesy gratin made with sliced potatoes, fresh spinach, and tomatoes. Great weeknight side dish.
If you’re like me, sometimes the hardest part of meal planning is coming up with interesting side dishes. I can get the entree – no problem! – but the sides sometimes stump me. Especially if you’re serving little ones whose faces don’t always brighten at the prospect of “eating their vegetables.”
Even with the pickiest eaters, the one side you can almost always depend on is potatoes isn’t it? Really, how many people do you know who don’t like potatoes? I can’t think of one.
I was very pleased to be offered an opportunity to create this recipe using Simply Potatoes brand products. They’re one of my go-to grocery items and I’ve been using them for quite a long time. They’re fresh potato products, never frozen, that you’ll find in your grocery store’s dairy section. And the very best thing? The prep is already done for you! No peeling, slicing, or shredding required. That can be a real plus for a busy household!
I use Simply Potatoes for lots of recipes from breakfast to brunch to dinner. Some of our favorites are the hash browns which make frequent appearances on our weekend breakfast table and the mashed sweet potatoes that I often serve with pork chops or roasted chicken.
For this recipe, I used the Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices layered with fresh spinach, tomatoes, and cheddar cheese to make a very kid-friendly side dish. With all that cheese and potatoes, the kids will hardly know you sneaked in a whole bunch of nutritious spinach :-)
How to Make Potato Spinach and Tomato Gratin
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the tomatoes into approximately 1/4” slices. I strongly recommend using Roma tomatoes for this recipe. They typically have fewer seeds and less juice than other tomatoes. They’ll help keep your gratin from becoming watery.
Chop the green onions using all the white and the tender green parts.
Drizzle half the olive oil in a baking dish or gratin dish.
Place half the potato slices in an even layer in the dish. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Layer half the tomato slices. Sprinkle with half the oregano and lightly salt and pepper each slice.
Layer half the green onions over the tomatoes.
Make a layer with the spinach. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover evenly with half the grated cheddar cheese.
Repeat making layers with remaining ingredients. (Note: you’ll use all the spinach in its one layer so your final layers will be potatoes (seasoned), tomatoes (seasoned), onions, cheese.) Drizzle top with remaining olive oil.
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
When the baking time is nearly complete, grate the fresh Parmesan. Remove the foil and top with the grated Parmesan cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
🧾 More Recipes You’ll Like
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes and Ham
- Parmesan Garlic Baked Potato Wedges
- Potato, Leek and Bacon Au Gratin
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
I’d LOVE to know what you thought!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know how you liked it!
WE’RE ON FACEBOOK, TOO!
If you’d like to hang out with lots of other Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure to join my FREE PRIVATE Facebook group.
Potato Spinach and Tomato Gratin
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 4 green onions diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 ounces peeled, sliced potatoes (recommend using Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices)
- Ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 ounces uncooked baby spinach
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the tomatoes into approximately 1/4” slices. Chop the green onions using all the white and the tender green parts.
- Drizzle half the olive oil in a baking dish or gratin dish. Place half the potatoes slices in an even layer in the dish. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer half the tomato slices. Sprinkle with half the oregano. Layer half the green onions over the tomatoes. Make a layer with the spinach. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover evenly with half the grated cheddar cheese.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and top with the grated Parmesan cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.
— This post was originally sponsored by Simply Potatoes.