If you’re looking for comforting fall foods, get out your slow cooker and give this Slow Cooker Southwestern Pork Stew a try. It’s so good on a cool, crisp evening.
Fall always seems to come slowly in the south. It makes a tentative step one day, then retreats the next. We’ll have a cool, clear day followed by a humid and sultry one the next. That’s just the way it happens here. So far this year, those cool, clear days have been very few. We’ve had lots of rain, lots of humidity, and not much leaf color yet.
But I can tell it’s on the way. Every time I look out my windows it seems like there are a few more golden leaves out there than there were the time before.
This is the time of year that we all tend to start gathering inward. We pull out our sweaters and boots, the gardens stop producing, leaves start falling, and for many of us our appetites change to warmer more comforting foods.
I use my slow cookers all year round, but in the fall and winter they seem to work overtime. I really enjoy being able to pop all the ingredients in there, set and cover the cooker, and come back hours later to find our dinner ready and waiting.
Layer the potatoes, pork, onion, and chilies in the slow cooker.
In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, oregano, and salsa verde.
Pour over the pork and potato mixture in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
Serve over rice with warm tortillas, cilantro and lime wedges.
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1.5 lbs. pork shoulder, cut in 1” cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 16 oz. salsa verde
- For serving:
- Hot cooked rice
- Warm tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Layer the potatoes, pork, onion, and chiles in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, oregano, and salsa verde. Pour over the pork and potato mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- Serve over rice with cilantro and lime wedges.
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.
Crock-Pot 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel , SCCPVL610-S
Hatch Fire Roasted Mild Diced Green Chiles (Pack of 12)
OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More slow cooker southwestern recipes you might enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Beef Stew with Tomatoes, Olives, and Chiles from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Southwestern Slow Cooker Barley Casserole with Ground Turkey from Rachel Cooks
- Crock-Pot Southwestern Sausage and Hominy Stew from One Perfect Bite
- Crock Pot Southwest Chicken Casserole from 101 Cooking for Two