These Tea Muffins are a very simple, mildly sweet muffin perfect for tea time, breakfast, or after dinner. Enjoy with lots of butter and preserves.
This may not make sense to some of you, but I don't usually like my sweets to be overly sweet. I almost always want a bite or two of dessert after dinner, but I prefer for it to be just slightly sweet.
Like these little Tea Muffins. The whole batch of 18 mini muffins has just two tablespoons of sugar in it. I haven't figured out the math, but that's just a "dab" per muffin. To me, they're just the right amount of sweet.
Personally, I enjoy these best with just a little butter and a cup of creamy coffee. They're also very good with a tiny bit of preserves. Strawberry and apricot are my favorites.
We've enjoyed these with breakfast, for an afternoon snack, and even an after dinner treat. They're also perfect for a tea party with your favorite little princess.
How To Make Tea Muffins:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray 18 mini-muffin cups with cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
Measure the oil and milk together in a measuring cup. Much more convenient that measuring one and then the other! They're both going into the dry ingredients anyway, so why not.
Add the milk and slowly to the dry ingredients, whisking gently to combine.
Beat in the egg and vanilla just until combined. Don’t overmix or you'll make the batter a bit tough. And speaking of the batter, this one will be thin. About as thin as crepe batter, believe it or not.
Fill the prepared mini muffin tins with the batter. You can fill them pretty full. The batter won't run out as it bakes.
Bake for 6-7 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Watch carefully as you don't want to overbake these. They'll become dry if you do!
Serve with butter and/or preserves.
Makes 18 mini muffins.
More Muffin Recipes on Never Enough Thyme:
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Peaches and Cream Muffins
- Easy Poppy Seed Muffins
- Strawberry-Lemon Muffins
- Orange Blossom Muffins
muffin recipes from Other Bloggers:
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins from Crunchy, Creamy, Sweet
- Sweet Potato Almond Butter Muffins from Minimalist Baker
- Baked French Toast Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Cinnamon Muffins from Add a Pinch
- Chocolate Chip Muffins from Inspired Taste
Like This Recipe? Pin It!
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tblsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 18 mini-muffin cups with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Measure the oil and milk together in a measuring cup. Add slowly to the dry ingredients, whisking gently to combine. Beat in the egg and vanilla just until combined. Don’t overmix. Batter will be thin.
- Fill mini muffin tins with the batter. Bake for 6-7 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve with butter and/or preserves.
Lana Stuart is the cook and occasional traveler here at Never Enough Thyme. Lana has been cooking since she was tall enough to reach the stove and started this blog in 2009 to share her delicious home cooking recipes. You'll find about 700 recipes here so there's sure to be something your family will like!
More About Lana →